The 11 Best Ab Straps of 2018: The Easy Way to Get a Six-Pack!
Looking for an easy way to give your core a great workout, without the tediousness of sit-ups and the cost of an ab wheel? Look no further than the ab strap!
Ab straps are simple devices, devices which attach to a pull-up bar and allow you to hang from them. Once you’re hanging from the ab straps, you can contort your body in a number of ways which makes for an excellent core workout.
Ab straps are easy to use, versatile, and capable of giving more than just your abdomen a workout. There are, however, quite a number of good products on the market to choose from. We’ll do our best to unravel some of the confusion over the issue of whether or not there is any significant difference between various straps and which one would be the “best deal”. There are plenty of things that separate great ab straps from mediocre ab straps. We’re here to inform you of those qualities, as well as inform you of the ten best ab straps you’ll be able to get your hands on. We’ll start with a comprehensive product guide, then we’ll move on to the ten greatest ab straps. Trust us – you’ll want to get your hands on one of these. I’ve personally owned a set of these for years, and if used correctly, I can confirm that they are not only effective, but they can be used quite safely.
The Standout Qualities: An Ab Strap Buyer’s Guide
- Comfort – One of the primary concerns of many forms of workout equipment is how comfortable it is to the user while they’re performing their exercises. You don’t want to feel like your hands are about to peel off while you’re working out, after all.
With ab straps, in particular, you’ll want to look for a padded foam cushion that’s present on whatever surfaces come in contact with your body. Ideally, this cushion should be moisture resistant to wick away sweat, but we’ll talk about that next.
- Durability – The durability of your ab straps is a really important quality that is directly related to your safety, as well as the straps’ longevity. From the attachments to the handles, you’ll need as sturdy of a build as possible. On the grips, look for stainless steel carabiner attachments. Also look for moisture-resistant foam padding on any surface that might touch your bare skin. Another key thing to look for in an ab strap that could affect the device’s durability would be the addition of rip-resistant fabric.
- Max Load – The max load refers to the total amount of weight that the ab straps can support. We’d suggest looking for an ab strap set that supports no less than 100 kgs.
- Attachment – The attachment of the ab straps is probably one of the most important things to consider when looking for a set of straps. The quality of the attachment can impact your safety, mobility, and efficiency while you’re hanging from a pull-up. Consider a carabineer method of attachment; it’s simply a piece of fabric that wraps around the top of the pull-up bar, which then connects to another piece of fabric by the means of a carabineer. We’d consider looking for a carabiner that’s composed of stainless steel.
- Supplemental Materials – Are you looking for a set of ab straps that only features ab straps? Or, do you want more than just the exercise tools? Many ab straps come with supplemental parts, guides, or workout videos. You’ll want to do your research and figure out what you want.
Now, let’s get to the product reviews. We’ll look at ten of the best ab straps from a comprehensive point of view. We’ll start off with a description of the product than we’ll progress into a list of pros and cons. While the first product on the list is the best and the last isn’t, that doesn’t mean that the poorest-rated product isn’t worth checking out!
11 Best Ab Straps
CoreX ab straps take a back seat to no one. CoreX has finessed its design to add a few little extras that really help for comfort, efficiency, and longevity. The entire loop or sleeve is padded which is unlike most manufacturers’ technique of padding only the bottom of the sleeve. They feature several layers of mesh that are made specifically to disperse sweat (after all, they are shoved up pretty close to your armpits!). These commercial quality straps feature 21-inch long extender straps that enable easy length adjustments and extra thick webbing. Heavy-duty 4-inch carabiners round out this premier ab package. These are exceptionally well-suited for a big man, and you’ll find no shortage of comments from users who are more than thrilled with this set of straps. I say it’s a definite “buy” on these.
- Among the most durable of all products in its class
- Best breathable mesh construction we’ve found
- Best padding in its class
- Among the higher priced straps on the market
The Hipiew Ab Straps have a lot to love about them. They’re built with sturdy materials to ensure safe operation, from the hooks to the grips. The clips are large and durable, being constructed of high-quality stainless steel. The set also comes with straps that can elongate the length to which you hang from them. While the hooks are great, they can make smooth attachment to your pull-up bar slightly tough. Overall, however, the Hipiwe Ab Straps are some of the best straps you can find for your core workouts.
- Comes with extension straps
- Durable materials
- Extra large hooks
- Hooks might be too large for some pull-up bars
These ab straps are loaded with everything you’ll want from ab straps. They feature excellent durability, excellent construction, comfortable lining, and easy setup. You won’t get much better than the Valeo ab straps if you want a quick and easy way to step into the world of ab-crunching workouts. They’re equipped with metal carabineers and grommets, for optimal safety while you’re hanging from the pull-up bar. While they’re reasonably durable, you’ll find that some threads might start coming loose after moderate use. Also, their length isn’t adjustable since the carabiners only hang, rather than connect through the fabric.
- Built with high-quality materials
- Threads come loose after moderate use
- Non-adjustable length
The Harbinger Deluxe Ab Straps are heavy duty ab straps built for long periods of strenuous exercises. They’re durable, with steel and non-rip nylon materials built into them. They’re safe, due to the locking carabineer, which snaps into place once it’s positioned on the pull-up bar. They’re comfortable as well, due to high-abrasion vinyl that’s easy to clean after each time you use these straps. They’re even capable of supporting up to 300 pounds, a commendable amount for such a small set of straps. One of the only issues you’ll find with these straps is that they take an incredibly long amount of time to ship, with the wait time sometimes up to 2 months.
- Durable construction, with respect to both the carabineers and the straps
- Safe and comfortable to use
- Extremely long shipping time
Out of all the ab straps on this list, the RDX Ab Straps might be the most unique; they’re constructed out of a leather material that helps immensely with its durability, moisture-resistance, and comfort. On top of its material, the straps are extra wide for optimal comfort and less skin-pinching. These straps are also equipped with big carabineers, optimal for the largest of pull-up bars. The only thing we’d have to point out would be the lack of adjustability of the straps; you won’t be able to accommodate larger or smaller people on the straps if they’re having trouble getting used to them.
- Leather construction
- Large Carabineers
With sturdy carabineers, durable construction, and supplemental workout tools, the Perfect Fitness Ab Straps are a great addition to anyone’s workout regimen. The included carabineers are extremely large for safe and secure attachment. The construction of the straps is excellent, with rip-resistant and moisture wicking fabric. Finally, the Perfect Fitness Ab Straps come with an included key for online workouts and much more. One flaw we noticed with these straps is that they don’t hold that much weight. We wouldn’t recommend using them if you weigh more than 200 pounds.
- Supplemental workout materials
- Sturdy carabiner construction
- Doesn’t hold very much weight
The Perfect Fitness Pro Ab Straps make a formidable addition to anyone’s at-home gym or workout combination. They’re essentially ab straps with a twist; handles that make for easy, durable, and non-sweaty grip throughout your abdomen workouts. In addition to their excellent handlebar grips, they’re durable, feature steel carabiner attachments, and include a mesh material that’s breathable and moisture-resistant. We only managed to find one thing remotely wrong with the ab straps – the padding isn’t quite thick, which might sacrifice the equipment’s long-term durability. This measure is set in place for comfort, however.
- Large handles unique to this ab strap set
- Large, easy-to-use carabineers
- Padding isn’t quick; might pave the way for quick disintegration
While they’re best used with the Iron Gym at home gym system, the Iron Gym Ab Straps can provide anyone with a beneficial core workout; you can hang them on any pull-up bar. It can hold a massive amount of weight, 300 pounds, but isn’t large enough to get in your or anyone’s way. They’re a great addition to your workout routine. While they allow you to do a decent amount of core and lower back exercises, they don’t allow for lateral leg movements, which may limit your workout routines.
- You can hang them anywhere
- Massive weight support, despite their small length
- Design limits lateral exercises
The Ultimate Body Press Ab Straps are a great set of ab straps to have at your disposal – they’re comfy, easy to use and provide access to a versatile mix of workouts. The arm holes are extra wide, which makes them accommodating of a variety of body types. This can also make it difficult for those with smaller arms to use them, however. There isn’t any existing carabiner, either; this makes the whole apparatus feel relatively insecure. They do nest into each other for easy storage.
- Wide straps and arm holes
- Great for larger users
- Sketchy securing mechanism (Velcro)
Easily attaching to most chin-up bars with a maximum weight capacity of up to 100 kilograms, there’s a lot to love about the Pellor Gym Hanging Ab Straps. The straps are easy to setup and make doing crunches and other types of exercises a breeze. They’re wide, as well; anyone can use them with little to no discomfort. The construction of the straps is sturdy, as is the stitching. The only downside is that they’re quite short; this can hinder your ability to flexibly move while suspended from your pull-up bar.
- Sturdy construction
- Easy to setup
- Short length
The Wacces Ab Straps are a decent set of ab straps, but we’ve found their shortcomings to outweigh their positive features. While they are flexible, wide, and somewhat durable, the threading is notorious for coming undone. The weight capacity can be called into question, especially if you’re more than 200 pounds. The big plus on these is their price point which is about 1/3 that of other options. In our opinion, however, even the best quality ab straps for the highest price, are not exactly out of reach for most fitness buffs. As of this review, a great pair will cost you about the same as a half tank of gas!
- Wide straps
- Suspect Stitching
- Low weight capacity
We’ve reached the end of the product reviews. Without a doubt, most of the aforementioned ab straps are excellent pieces to include in your workout regimen, delivering a superior core and lower back workout to anyone who dares use them.
It is, however, worthy to note that ab straps can put some unnatural strain on your shoulder joints which is not unlike many other resistance exercises. We would strongly suggest you use your best judgment when using ab straps, and if your shoulder begins to hurt, please consider another method of working out your abs and other core muscles.
Summing it All Up With Our Recommendation
The best ab straps don’t show themselves easily. Rather, it takes patience and knowledge of the important features to truly find the best set of straps for your routine or at-home gym. From the carabineer hooks to the stitching, no features should be overlooked. Otherwise, you’re burning a hole in your wallet with wasted funds!
We’d recommend trying the RBX Straps. While they’re certainly the highest rated straps on the list, they’re made of leather. This isn’t something that’s normally integrated into workout equipment but holds up well in the face of moisture and use. They’re also extremely wide and equipped with large carabineers that make your workout safe and effective.
Using the above product guide as well as the list of ten ab straps, you should be able to easily pick out an ab strap that suits your needs. All it takes is patience, diligence, and product knowledge.