A proper snow sled can be a lot of fun. The problem with snow sleds is that if you buy yourself a poor one they don’t normally work as good and go as far and are therefore not as fun. You really have to have the right winter conditions as well as a good sled in order to be able to travel far distances on a sled. In order to help you with the sled aspect of things we have come up with a buyer’s guide that you can use in order to diagnose if the sled you are looking at is any good and we have also come up with a list of our picks for the top ten snow sleds on the market in order to point you in the right direction.
Rope/ Steering Method
One of the most important aspects of any sled is to have some kind of a rope on it or steering method that you can use in order to be able to steer around the hill. Not only is a proper rope or steering method important as far as safety is concerned, but it is also important so that you can have proper control of the sled and be able to hit the fastest areas of the hill that you want to go down. The nice thing about a rope is that it gives you something solid to hold onto when you are going down the hill rather than just the sides of the sled and it also gives you an easy way to be able to pull the sled up the hill.
Top Snow Sled Comparison Chart
One of the things that you will notice are built into, or cut into a quality sled are built in handles. If the sled is meant for just one person it is ideal to have at least one handle a person. It is even better if you have two handles for each person that fits on the sled so that you can feel safe and sound as well as stay nicely balanced when you are going down the hill, rather than having to just lean to one side or hold onto the person that is in front of you for support. Depending on the sled that you buy, another type of snow sled that you may find could have extended foam handles. It is always a good idea to make sure that these handles are attached properly otherwise you could really end up with a damaged toboggan if one of them ends up tearing out on you. Another thing to look for is that the handles don’t extend so far out as to be able to get caught underneath the toboggan as this can cause you to flip or slow down.
One thing you need to know about length is that it does have an impact on how fast you travel, however the impact probably isn’t that large so long as the sled is shaped properly. The main thing that is going to impact length is how many people the sled is capable of carrying. The nice thing about snow sled’s is that most of them are actually built to be able to fit two people onto one sled rather than just being able to fit one person at a time which is quite nice if you like to toboggan with others. The other good thing about most toboggan sleds is that one person will have no difficulty going down the hill in a two-person sled and they should be able to reach the bottom of the hill with ease.
Since almost all sleds on the market have a plastic bottom on them, one of the easiest and best ways to be able to tell if your sled will have some speed to it is to look at the overall shape of the sled. If the sled has a point on the front end of it, it is generally going to be able to travel down the hill at a faster speed than that of a sled that doesn’t have anything but a flat front on it. This is because a pointed sled is better at dispersing the snow that is in front of the sled to either side of the sled when you are going down the hill resulting in you being able to travel down the hill at a faster rate of speed.
The thing about sleds is that they do come in a lot of different shapes and sizes and it can be quite hard to be able to choose the right size for you. If you want to get a sled capable of fitting more than one person, or you just want to feel secure and be able to travel a far distance, one thing you should check out are the side walls. If the side walls are high enough to have a handle incorporated into the design then they are going to be high enough to make sure that you don’t fall out of the sled very easily as well. Generally speaking you don’t want to find a sled that has a straight up and down side wall as this won’t travel across the snow as well. Instead look for sleds with a curved sidewall as this will help with streamlining the sled and help to increase its overall speed all while keeping you locked in tightly and secure within the compounds of the sled.
Although the company of the sled may not have a weight limit set on the sled, it is a good idea to check and see if the company has an age recommendation set in place. Generally, if there is an age recommendation for a two-person sled you probably shouldn’t be putting two large adults on the sled as this may risk breaking the sled. If you want to ride a kid’s sled as an adult it is generally recommended that you ride the sled by yourself as this will result in the least likely chance of the sled breaking on you.
In order to be able to find a sled that will last you for a long period of time, one thing that you should look for when you are trying to make a purchasing decision is that the sled has some kind of a protective coating built into its design. Generally speaking, a sled that has a coating on it will be able to slide down the hill at a faster pace and it will also be more resistant to breaking in the cold weather. Plastic does become more fragile in the cold and this is definitely something that you should be aware of as it would really suck to buy yourself a nice sled only to have it break on you on the first day of use.
Snow Sled Reviews
Slippery Racer Downhill
If you have a higher budget and you want to make sure that you buy something that will be of a high quality then this could very well be the sled for you. This sled measures in at 48 inches in length and is plenty large enough to be able to fit one or two rider in order to meet your snow sledding needs. This sled offers a nice rope design located at the front of the sled making it quite easy to be able to tow the sled up or steer it around obstacles on the hill. Another thing that you will like about this sled is that it has four handles built into its design in order to offer you an optimal handling experience and allow you to maintain your balance accurately and effectively throughout the whole length of the hill that you are going down. This sled is even coated in a nice coating that is meant to be able to allow the sled to be better protected from the cold weather, as well as allow the sled to be able to slide faster down the hill compared to just the regular plastic on the sled thanks to its slick texture. With this sled the manufacturer actually offers a limited lifetime warranty that covers any defects that come up in the sled which is a great thing to have to give you some peace of mind when purchasing at this higher price tag range.
- Four handles are incorporated into the side walls of this sled
- A rope makes it easy to tow the sled around and control your way down the hill
- Treated with a coating which makes the sled more slippery and cold resistant
- Large side walls to keep you secure throughout the duration of your ride
- One or a two-person sled at 48 inches in length
- Manufacturer offers a limited lifetime warranty that covers any defects in the sled
- Streamlined design allows for a very fast speed
- If you are on a really tight budget you may not be able to afford this great sled
Slippery Racer Downhill Sprinter
If you want to get yourself two sleds and you don’t want to have to share with your sledding partner then this could be a great option for you. This is a sled package deal that contains two sleds and each of these sleds is not a bad size for a one person sled at 35” in length. These sleds come in a blue as well as a red color in the package in order to allow you to have some choice as to what color you want. The sleds each have a rope built into their design making it easy to take the sled up the hill and allowing you to have better control over the sled when you are going down the hill. There are handles incorporated into both of the sidewalls allowing you to maintain your balance easily for the whole duration of your ride down the hill which is a nice feature to have for the price. These sleds are each coated in a smooth coating in order to be more resistant to cold and to allow you to slide better and faster down the hill.
- Recommended for ages four and up meaning adults can use the sled if they wish
- 35” design offers a good amount of room for one person to be comfortable
- Rope to be able to take the sled up the hill easily and to allow for better control when going downhill
- Coated in a smooth coating to provide speed, but also resistance to the cold and breaking
- Pack of two sleds comes in a blue as well as a red color
- Handles built into both sidewalls allowing you to be balanced and secure
- May not be the most streamlined sleds available; fairly wide front ends
Snow Sled Kids Winter Toboggan
If you are looking to get yourself a two-person sled and you have a mid-high budget range as far as sleds go then this could be a good option for you. This sled is available in a blue as well as a red design in order to give you a bit of choice. The sled has a nice streamlined design which will allow you to be able to travel at some pretty fast speeds when you are going down the slope. This sled is 48 inches in length which should offer you plenty of space in order to be able to sit two people fairly comfortably on the sled. There are handles built into the side walls which is great for offering you stability when you are traveling down the hill. If you are looking to get a sled that is built for durability then this could definitely be a good option for you as this sled also has a lip around the edge of it which not only helps to hold the sled together for a longer period of time but also better protects you should you run into something when going down the hill.
- 48-inch sled is large enough to fit one or two people relatively easily
- Streamlined design allows you to travel pretty fast
- Handles are built into the sidewalls of the sled to allow you to have good balance and control
- Edge around the sled is great for protection and durability of the unit
- Available in a blue as well as a red design
- Rope on the unit makes it easy to bring up hills and easier to control when going down them
- Rope is long and easy to tangle
- Price may be a little steep for some people
Lucky Bums Snow Sled Kids 35”
If you want to get yourself a quality one person sled then this sled gives you a lot of options. In fact, there are six different colors of this sled available that you can choose from. This sled is fairly large for one person at 35” in length and offers enough room to stretch out and lie down or sit as you like on the sled. The sled has a built-in rope on the front of the unit which you can use for controlling the direction of the sled as well as pulling the sled uphill as you need. The sled has built-in handles which allow you to hold on tight and maintain your balance for the duration of the ride. The tall sidewalls and taller front of the unit will allow you to stay very secure and really help to prevent accidents from occurring.
- Six different design options are available
- Satisfaction guaranteed by the company
- Pull rope is located on the front of the unit and is great for control and pulling the unit up the hill as you need
- 35” design is plenty long enough to allow you to be able to sit down or lie down as you wish
- Sidewall handles in order to keep you safe and secure
- High side walls and a high front on the unit to keep you from falling out and help to protect you from damage if you run into something
- Not the most streamlined design
Lucky Bums Snow Kids Toboggan Sled 48”
If you have a really high budget for your sled and you want to get something that will take you down the hill fast then this sled could be a great option for you. This sled is 48 inches in length and capable of fitting two people at one time relatively easily. It is important to note that there are no handles built into the side walls of this unit; instead they actually just are molded into the plastic design and therefore the side walls aren’t as large on this unit as some of the other ones available on the market. This sled is designed to be fast and has a fairly streamlined front in order to provide you with even more speed and stability when you are going down the slope.
- Six different designs available that you can choose from at the checkout
- Pull rope is integrated into the design which allows you to be able to tow the sled and control it easier
- 48” design is quite capable of holding two people at one time
- Fairly streamlined in order to be fast
- Integrated molded handles offer better durability then cut out handles without sacrificing too much grip
- Price tag is definitely high on this unit
Bo-Toys Snow Sled
If you want to get a sled for a fairly reasonable price tag for one person then this sled could be a good option for you. This sled comes in a total of five different color options in order to suit your personal preferences and another thing that you will notice about this sled is that it has built-in handles around the middle of the unit which allow you to lie down or sit comfortably while still being able to reach the handles. This sled has a built-in rope in order to allow you to be able to pull the sled up the hill as you need and it also allows you to be able to avoid obstacles when going down the hill. Although this isn’t the most streamlined design, it does have a pretty good price tag and the manufacturer offers a limited lifetime warranty on any defects in the unit to give you some peace of mind.
- Available in five different color options in order to suit your personal tastes
- Handles built into the middle of the side walls
- Integrated rope for towing and more control of the unit
- 35” design allows you to have a good amount of room to lie down or sit
- Limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty against defects in the unit
- Average price appeals to a fairly broad range of people
- This is definitely not the most streamlined design on the market
- Watch your hands through the handle holes as the sidewalls aren’t super tall
Paricon Toddler Boggan Sled
If you are looking to get yourself a toboggan for a little one then this is a very secure option available for you. This sled is definitely not a fast one, but you also don’t want to let your toddler travel too fast as they may hurt themselves. This unit has very tall side walls and an integrated buckle inside of the unit so that you can be sure that your toddler will stay nicely secured while inside of the unit. There is a pull; rope on the front of this unit which is great for parents who want to pull their toddler around in the snow or to allow the toddler to hold onto something when they are going down a hill. This sled is recommended for kids over the age of 18 months to as old as four years old; older than that age and you may not be able to fit within the side walls of the unit which is important to note. There is a high back on this unit in order to keep your toddler comfortable for an extended period of time and the side walls are actually tall enough in order to be able to put a pillow inside of the unit if you wish to be able to make the ride more comfortable.
- Very low price tag for the unit
- Integrated rope allows you to tow your toddler around
- Buckle will keep the child nicely secured
- High side walls and a nice backrest as well as a large enough room for a pillow or a cushion to keep your toddler comfortable
- Recommended for kids 18 months to four years old
- Relatively streamlined front
- Not meant for speed
- No handles on the side wall
Flexible Flyer Snow Screamer
This is a different kind of sled that is mostly built for the user to lie down and go down the hill. There are front and back external foam handles on the unit allowing you to be able to take two riders down the hill at one time. This unit is recommended for people that are ages five and up largely due to its fast speed. The unit is fairly long at 47 inches, but has no side walls so it does allow you to put your body literally off of the sled when you are going down the hill if you desire. The bottom of this sled is coated in a slick material in order to allow for both better protection from the elements as well as to allow you to travel at faster speeds especially when combined with the streamlined design of this unit.
- Very light to be able to carry up the hill as the unit is mostly made out of foam
- Two sets of handles are all foam covered for great grip and comfort
- 47-inch long unit is long enough to be able to hold two people easily
- Recommended for ages five and up
- Bottom is coated for resistance to cold and a faster riding experience’
- Extremely fast design and very streamlined
- The unit has no side walls for protection
- Have to watch where all of your body parts are as there is nothing to keep you on the sled besides the handles
- No rope to carry the unit up the hill
The Original Sledsterz Spoon Sled
This sled is a very different design than most of the other sleds that you will see on the market. This sled is a one person sled and is available for a pretty low price tag which is definitely one thing that it has going for it. The sled has two integrated handles in order to offer you good balance and stability when you are going down the hill. This sled has a round area for the user to sit in and then it has a small circle a few feet ahead of this location where a smaller circle sits; this is the location that you put your feet when using this unit. Due to the unique design of this unit it is relatively easy to be able to transfer your weight and shift left or right if you need to. The unit also allows you to easily be able to take your feet off and use them to slow yourself down which is a very nice convenient feature incorporated into the design.
- Comfortable ride compared to most sleds thanks to the footrest design
- Easy to use handles offer a very controlled ride
- You can use your feet to slow you down thanks to no/ little side walls on the unit and unique shape
- Low price tag appeals to a lot of people
- Not a lot of protection if you run into something
Superio Round Kids Snow Sled
This last unit offers a much different snow sled design. Rather than being able to lie down; this unit only allows you to sit as it is merely a disc. The sled is available in three different color options including blue, red and yellow in order to suit your personal tastes. The handles on this sled extend upwards and are located in an area where you won’t have to worry about injuring your hands which is a nice feature to have for this low of a price. The sled is 24 inches in diameter and definitely offers enough room in order for you to be able to comfortably sit on the sled. Although a round sled definitely isn’t the most streamlined design it does allow for a unique twisting riding experience and you never know which direction you will end up facing when you get to the bottom of the slope which can be quite fun.
- Available in three different color options
- Integrated handles are in a position where it will be next to impossible to squish and hurt your fingers
- 24-inch design is large enough to sit comfortably in
- Unique twisting riding experience not offered from a regular sled
- If you hate being dizzy you may not like this sled
- Not as fast as a streamlined design
- No rope in the design to hold onto in order to tow the sled
- Hard to control
Final Thoughts & Recommendations
Hopefully after reading our list for our top ten snow sled picks as well as our buyer’s guide you have learned some of the most important aspects of a snow sled and now feel more comfortable being able to make a purchasing decision. Remember that it is always a good idea to check out the company’s return policy that you are buying from as well as the company warranty so that you know what all you will be covered for if you run into a problem with the sled at some point in time. Best of luck with your sled shopping and hope that you get the chance to hit the slopes soon. Have fun!