This is a bit of a tricky topic! Disc golf shoes can take many forms, and in fact, the official shoe sponsor of the pro disc golf tour is actually a hiking shoe from Keen! Nothing says you can’t use a regular golf shoe (some pros do!) while others prefer a trail running shoe. So whether it’s trail runners, conventional golf shoes, or hiking shoes, let’s focus on which ones are the best options. The thing about shoes is that as long as you buy something of a relatively decent quality it is going to last you for a long time. Golf shoes come in all sorts of different sizes, shapes and designs and it can be rather difficult to narrow down your options. In order to figure out which golf shoes are of a good quality it is important to know what to look for. Below we have made a list of some of the most important show features to help you narrow down your options.
Top Disc Golf Shoes Comparison Chart
Disc Golf Shoes Buying Guide
This is the most important factor for many people and it can be a really good indication of the overall quality of the product. Although this is definitely one of the best places to start when it comes to finding something that is of a good quality it is important to look at several other factors to make sure that the company didn’t just overprice their product.
This is the next thing that you should carefully examine when you are trying to find yourself a good quality pair of golf shoes. The warranty can really save you for when you notice a defect in the shoes a few days after wearing them. It is not uncommon for this to take place and it is nice to know that the manufacturer is willing to cover you when this occurs. Although you may have a difficult time finding a warranty on a pair of cheap shoes, it is definitely still a good idea to try and find something with a warranty so that you don’t end up losing all your money on a cheap purchase.
Since golf is a pretty long sport it is essential to find yourself a comfortable pair of shoes. Looking for things such as a padded tongue, a padded collar, and a comfortable insole are the most important aspects. Other things that can really influence the overall comfortability of a shoe are the arch and how tight the laces are. You don’t want to have a show that is too tight on your feet and you definitely want some arch support because you will be walking around for a good length of time during your golf game.
It is extremely important to buy the right size of shoes for your feet, not only for your own comfort but also so that the shoes last you for a long period of time and so that you feel comfortable wearing them for an extended period of time. If you are growing it won’t hurt you to buy shoes that are too big for you by a little bit, but just make sure that you aren’t buying such big shoes that you aren’t tripping over your own feet. If you are in a huge growing age in your life maybe you should consider buying yourself a cheaper pair because you know you will be out of those shoes in a relatively short time frame.
The design of a shoe is important to many golfers. Not only is it important to find something that is made from a high-quality material and that is stitched together in a proper fashion, but it is also important to find something that is close to your personal style so that you don’t feel self-conscious about wearing your shoes. It is a good idea to also have a look and see what kind of tread are on the bottom of these shoes because you are going to want some extra grip on your shoes so that you can throw the discs properly and not have to worry about things like falling over or losing your footing in a muddy area.
The brand of a shoe is important to many people and can really have an influence on the quality of the product. It is important to remember that buying a big name brand may not be your best option. If you buy a big name brand you can end up paying a bit of a premium on that product just because it has that big name brand attached to it. Even if you are buying from a big name brand it is still a good idea to look at the materials that they incorporated into the end product to make sure that the quality is there. Even big name brands make mistakes sometimes and it is important to try your best to spot potential flaws so that you don’t end up in a bad situation.
This is another very important factor when it comes to shoes because you want something that is going to keep your feet secure, but you also want something that isn’t too tight on your feet so that your feet don’t hurt. It is also a good idea to check and see if there is any kind of metal support rings or whether the holes are just punched in the fabric where the laces go through. Metal support can add increased durability if the shoes are made out of a soft fabric and so this may be a feature to look for.
This is something you are especially going to want to have a look at if you are worried about slipping or falling. Tread comes in all sorts of shapes and sizes and you will find rubber tread, metal tread, and even some shoes that have some kind of plastic or another hard material that they use as the tread in their design. It is important to make sure that the tread on a shoe is capable of holding up to wear and tear. Especially if you are going to be using these shoes on a daily basis you won’t want something that has a smooth bottom or you run the risk of a missed shot or an injury which could prevent you from continuing to play disc golf long term.
You are going to find golf shoes that are made up of all kinds of different materials and it can be quite difficult to determine whether a product actually contains a high-quality material if you don’t know what to look for. A high-quality golf shoe will generally be made of leather or fake leather; shoes that use leather in their design are quite durable as leather is weather resistant, doesn’t fade easily and holds up over long-term use. If you are looking at cheaper shoes you will also notice shoes that are made up of other kinds of rubber-like fabric and these shoes will last you for a fair length of time as long as you are careful when picking them out. You should look to make sure everything is stitched nicely together and that the shoe is well attached to the sole/ the bottom of the shoe.
Best Disc Golf Shoe Reviews (hiking, running and regular golf options)
The Speedcross 4 CS is the 4th edition of this iconic running shoe, and the improvements/tweaks keep coming. Lightweight, highly cushioned and with monster grip in soft conditions, the Speedcross 4 CS has even more aggressive grippiness than ever. While many trail runner shoes (which we like for disc golf) are water resistant, the 4 CS is fully waterproof for year-round romps.
At 10.9 ounces (for the size 9 shoe), we’re looking at a pretty darned light shoe and yes, lighter is better!
The sole and grip of the 4 CS is not just a random compilation of knobby, pointy chunks of rubber. Salomon boasts of a very technological approach to designing their tread grip and it’s called “Contragrip Technology”. This is a precise combination of density, compound and geometry of the sole and it’s optimized for specific sports and surface conditions.
I feel like I want the rubber sole itself to come up around the sides of the shoe for added lateral support and water-resistance, but Salomon shoes generally don’t do this, so this is absolutely not a deal breaker for us. Plus, the synthetic nylon exterior works just fine as long as it maintains its waterproof status.
Finally, we like the Quicklace system that optimizes the wearer’s ability to keep tension consistent and oh so quick!
- These shoes are actually waterproof which is great for playing disc golf on a miserable day
- Very stylish, eye appealing design
- Available in a huge range of sizes so that almost any disc golfer can purchase these shoes
- Available in a total of four different color options to suit a wide audience
- Plenty of rubber tread offers good grip while on any terrain
- Depending on your foot shape, Salomons can be less “comfortable” than some other options. However, given the relatively short period of time you’ll be wearing them, the excellent brand and the unbeatable “coolness” of the look, we can overlook any decrease in comfort over other shoes.
This hiking shoe is a little more expensive than some of the other shoes that you might see, but it is a very nice shoe that has a very nice eye appealing design. This shoe is available in sizes 7-15 and is available in a bunch of different styles to suit personal tastes. A very comfortable fitting shoe that has a rubber bottom with a fair amount of tread in order to keep you from falling on the golf course.
- Very nice eye appealing design
- Made with waterproof mesh so that you can golf in poor weather
- Padded tongue and back make for a comfortable fit, even over long-term wear
- This shoe is fairly expensive
- Some golfers may want spikes on their shoes rather than just thick tread
Another very nice golf shoe that can really range in price depending on the design of the shoe that you like. This shoe is made out of leather which offers it some very good durability and overall a very nice look. The bottom of the shoe is made out of rubber and the tread on this shoe is tiny rubber points to help give you improved grip on even the most unstable ground. This shoe comes in sizes 7.5-13.
- Rubber spikes offer very good traction on a wide variety of surfaces
- Water resistant design will help keep your feet dry for a longer period of time
- Lightweight golf shoe that offers metal protectors for the laces which help add durability to the design
- Can be very expensive depending on which design you like
- Not waterproof
- Not available in as many sizes as some models on the market
This is a nice shoe that is offered for a pretty reasonable price tag no matter what design you pick out of the five that are available. When in stock this shoe has sizes 7-12 and has some very stylish designs to choose from. The tread on these shoes is rubber and features no spikes which some golfers may not like. Overall this is a very nice fabric shoe with a padded tongue and back for added comfort over long-term wear.
- Fairly good weather protection
- Comfortable fit thanks to excess amounts of padding in sensitive areas
- Lots of nice designs to choose from with a variety of color options
- Rubber bottom is quite durable and thick; these shoes should last you for a long period of time
- Laces are not supported by any metal
- There are no spikes on the bottom of these shoes for extra grip
- Only available in sizes 7-12
- Made out of fabric rather than a more durable leather design
These shoes are about in the average price range and offer a lot of awesome features that are going to be hard to find on a shoe for this kind of money. The shoe is made of leather and has a very nice, simple design featuring three stripes. These are a pair of very comfortable golf shoes that are meant to be worn long term thanks to high quality materials incorporated into the design.
- Leather shoes add a huge amount of durability to the design
- A sole that is made of synthetic materials helps to make these shoes comfortable even over periods of lonlong-termar.
- Laces are small and hard to catch on things
- Spikes on the bottom of the shoe help you to remain standing even in bad weather and course conditions
- These shoes are not available in a variety of sizes
- Tongue could be more comfortable and have more padding
This shoe definitely is a little bit of a higher price than some of the other golf shoes on the market but it does bring a lot of nice features to the table that help it to be one of the biggest competitors in the marketplace. Featuring a very stylish design and a massive amount of sizes that range from 5-15 when in stock; it will be difficult to find this nice of a shoe elsewhere no matter the price you pay.
- This shoe is available in a ton of colors and styles to suit your personal tastes
- The shoe is very light weight and easy to run and walk in for a long time if you so desire
- Rubber bottom contains spikes so that you maintain good grip while you are out on the golf course.
- Made from synthetic material this shoe looks good and should also last you for a long period of time
- Not made out of leather
- May be a bit too high of a price for some golfers
This is a very nice shoe that offers a pretty low to average price. The shoe itself incorporated a spiked rubber back for added grip and stability with textured rubber tread around the rest of the shoe for added grip. The shoe is available in four different color options and comes in sizes 5-10. A padded tongue and back on these shoes will help to keep you comfortable for long term wear.
- Mesh upper layer offers relief from moisture so that you can remain comfortable wearing these shoes over a long period of time.
- Available in four different styles to suit your wants and needs
- Light weight design is great for walking around the course while maintaining grip and comfortability
- High lace hole options allow you to secure your foot in very tightly if that is something that interests you
- Not made out of leather
- The lace holes are not reinforced by metal except for the top lace hole
This shoe is a little bit cheaper than some of the other women’s shoes on the market and yet it still offers some very awesome features that you are not going to find on a lot of other shoes in this price range. The shoes come in sizes 5-10 when they are in stock and have a very stylish look to them; the shoes are also available in four different colors so that you can match the shoes to your personal tastes.
- These shoes are made from a synthetic and leather combination that offers you a very durable shoe overall
- The shoe has a rubber bottom with spikes on the whole front have of the shoe which offer you very good grip and support even on rough terrain
- A range of styles and sizes all available for a low price tag; really makes these shoes appeal to a wide audience
- The laces on these shoes are reinforced by metal and should be quite durable even over long term use.
- The shoes aren’t pure leather
- The shoes are not waterproof
This is a very nice shoe that is available for quite a low price considering how nice and sleek the design is. This shoe is extremely light weight and actually comes in six different styles to match to your personal tastes. The show does have very small spikes on the bottom but not a ton; which can be expected at this low price range. These shoes come in sizes 5-10 and offer a very slim design that is easy to slip on and get out on the golf course.
- Six different styles and a variety of sizes to choose from appeals to a wide audience
- Some tread on the bottom as well as spikes to keep you from falling
- Mesh design allows for moisture to escape from your shoes and keep you comfortable during long periods of wear
- Long laces may cause you to have to double knot your shoes
- Mesh design makes this shoe more vulnerable to water and getting your feet wet
- Could have more spikes on the bottom of the shoe for added stability
The Ignite spikeless shoe is a welcome addition to our list and it deviates a bit from the trail running option. It’s a shoe that looks a lot like an everyday sneaker, and indeed it can be worn as such! However, it features a host of qualities you’d like in your disc golf shoe. Let’s examine!
For starters, there’s a full length Ignite foam midsole covered in soleshield which makes the whole deal more durable. There’s a flat-knit waterproof mesh on top and overall it’s exceptionally comfortable for a performance shoe.
The sole features something Puma calls “Organic Traction” which is more than 100 strategically placed directional hexagon lugs in proper zones for increased traction throughout the swing delivering even more grip and power.
Finally, the disc closure system is used for lacing the shoe and it’s a dial that tightens the laces to lock in your foot.
- Durable synthetic material should last for a long time
- Spike-less system that delivers the needed performance
- Very reliable brand
- Exceptionally comfortable
- Potentially not as waterproof as advertised
Conclusion & Recommendations
It is really hard to find yourself a good quality pair of shoes especially with so many good brands of shoes on the market. It doesn’t matter if you are a beginner just learning to play or a professional player, everyone can benefit from having comfortable shoes on that have good tread on them so that you don’t run the risk of messing up your shots. Always remember it is a good idea to check things like warranty as well as size to make sure that you can get yourself a proper fit. Best of luck in your hunt for a great disc golf shoe; and good luck in your golfing games.