Hey, let’s deal with the elephant in the room for starters okay? WHY would you want a kettlebell instead of a standard dumbbell? I’m so glad you asked! The truth is that there are lots of reasons, but one of the basic reasons is that the fluidity of motion you can achieve with a kettlebell cannot be duplicated with a dumbbell. Both can work fine, but the comfortable and injury-free range of motion ability of the kettlebell is arguably far beyond that of a standard hand weight. Many exercises are easier to do ergonomically which means increased safety and increased muscle development due to more efficient ergonomics.
A kettlebell can be a great tool in your workout chest! They come in all sorts of weights and sizes and it is important to have some of an idea as to the kinds of exercises that you want to do with a kettlebell beforehand so that you can get a grasp as to the weight that you should purchase. There are lots of options for weight as well as materials that kettlebells are made up of and if you don’t know what you are buying you may end up with something that isn’t of the quality you are expecting. In order to help you with this process we have come up with a buyer’s guide as well as a list of our picks for the top ten kettlebells on the market in order to help you make a better, more informed purchasing decision.
Each and every kettlebell that you look at, the weight of the kettlebell should be directly on the unit. This is a very important aspect of the purchase because if you were to buy more than one kettlebell from the same manufacturer, you are going to want to know which is which so that you can use the proper weight for the exercise that you are doing. It is important to realize that not every company goes by the same unit of measurement and you will see weights that are in lbs and you will also see weights in kg as well as a combination of the two at times.
Kettlebell Comparison Chart
Depending on the exercise that you are doing, a handle may actually be one of the most important components of the exercise. You will want to make sure that the handle is nice and wide so that you can easily fit your hand inside of it and you are also going to want to make sure that the handle has enough grip built into its design that you are comfortable swinging it around using one arm. You definitely don’t want to accidentally throw a kettlebell across the room as it could cause some serious damage and even hurt someone else or hurt you as we result.
No matter the kettlebell that you buy, it is important to realize that there is not a single weight available that is the best weight for every single exercise that you do. Some exercises you should definitely be using more weight than others and some of them you should definitely be using a lighter weight so that you don’t end up hurting yourself. It is important to note that there are actually some adjustable kettlebells on the market that you can buy where you can actually adjust the weight of a kettlebell according to your needs. Unfortunately, an adjustable kettlebell is a fairly expensive unit and you can often get a set of kettlebells for a fairly reasonable price tag as well so it is important to consider both your options carefully before making the decision that is best for you. Keep in mind that an adjustable kettlebell will likely take a bit of time in order to be able to change the weight, while a kettlebell set all you have to do is set down and pick up the next weight that you want to use.
Depending on the price that you are willing to pay, you will notice that there is a wide range of material options available on the market that you can choose from. Some of these options are likely to last you longer than others as a result of them being a more durable design, however, for these options, you often have to pay a higher price tag for the unit to begin with. One of the most common kettlebell options available is a cast iron option. Generally, these are a very solid construction but tend to wear out if they are left out and exposed to the elements.
If you want to get a cast iron kettlebell always remember to check and make sure that it is at least painted, or that it is coated in a powder based paint as this definitely helps to increase the durability and the longevity of these kettlebells. One of the other very common materials you will find a kettlebell made up of is a vinyl material. The nice thing about vinyl is that it is a very weather resistant material and it is hard to rip and tear vinyl unless you are doing it against a sharp object on purpose.
Often times a vinyl covering will go over the top of an iron kettlebell which helps to increase durability. Steel is another material you are likely to find largely because it is cheap to manufacture; you will find vinyl and rubber coatings as well as paint based and powder-based coatings covering steel units in order to help prevent them from rust and wear and tear. The one other material you may find in your search is a cement based kettlebell and these will have all kinds of coating on them as well in order to make them more durable.
If a kettlebell is made out of metal then you should always check to see if the material has been welded or if it has been cast in order to get a grasp as to the quality of the unit. Generally, a casted unit is going to be thicker in all aspects and therefore more durable than that of a welded unit. If you want to get yourself a welded unit just make sure you look at the seams to make sure everything looks nice and tight and that the weld is nice and clean otherwise you may end up running into problems with the weight somewhere down the road.
At the checkout generally, most kettlebells will at least have a few weight size options that you can choose from. The odd time you will find that the company only sells sets of kettlebells and this could be a great option for you if you want to be able to do a wide variety of exercises. It is always important to make sure that you look at each piece that is included in the set so that you can be sure to get yourself a weight range that works for you. Just keep in mind that kettlebell training isn’t necessarily just for strength, it is for flexibility and cardio training as well so you don’t always need to get yourself the heaviest set of weights available. The odd time an additional thing you will notice that comes with your purchase is some kind of a video or a guide that helps to teach you various exercises that you can do using kettlebells. Especially if you are new to kettlebell training it is never a bad idea to look for a product that contains something like this with your purchase as they can really help to teach you some great exercises.
In spite of not offering a thumbnail image for our chart above, AmazonBasics offers a no-nonsense basic kettlebell set that we really can’t criticize. It’s no frills, but the price is right, and price is one of the big factors we consider in our reviews ratings.
There are a total of 10 different weight options available (10 lb – 60 lb) as well as an option to buy the kettlebells as a set in case you have a need for a lot of different weights. These kettlebells range in weight from 4 lbs to as high as 106 lbs so they should be able to meet your exercise needs quite easily especially if you buy yourself the entire set of kettlebells. This set has the weight in pounds as well as kgs directly on the front of the weight and even has color coating incorporated into its design in order to allow you to be able to grab the weight that you need quickly and easily. These kettlebells have great grip thanks to a powder coating that covers the weights and the kettlebells are even cast in order to provide you with maximum durability. So that the kettlebells don’t roll away on you, the bottoms of these weights have been flattened out so that you can set them on the ground and not have to worry about them moving around on you.
- 10 different weight options to choose from ranging from 10 lbs to 60 lbs
- You can buy the whole set as an option at the checkout
- Made from a cast design for durability
- Coated with a powder coated paint for great grip and even more durability
- Weight in lbs directly on the front of the unit
- 1-year warranty with your purchase
- Paint may not be as durable as a vinyl coating
- Hefty shipping fees
If you are looking to get yourself one of the cheapest options available then this could be a great option for you. This weight is available in as low as a 10 lb option and goes to as high as an 80 lb option with 12 different weights that you can choose from according to your needs. The weights themselves are made out of a cast iron construction and contain no welding in order to make them as durable as possible. The weights don’t have anything extra on the handles so one thing to take note of is that you may want to be careful swinging these weights around as they may be a bit slippery to grip. The handle is very wide though which does allow you to hold the weight comfortably when you are doing your exercises. The whole unit is covered in a black paint which certainly helps to make the unit a little bit more of a durable design.
- Available in twelve different weight options ranging from 10 lbs to 80 lbs
- Made out of a cast iron construction which is quite durable and contains no weak welds
- Painted black to be more resistant to the elements
- Units do have their weight in lbs located on the front for fairly easy recognition
- Steel reinforced handle for peace of mind
- Definitely, you have to watch your grip when handling these weights as they may be a bit slippery to grasp
If you are looking to get yourself some individual weights in the low to average price range then these could definitely be a great option for you. These weights are available in anywhere from five pounds to as high as a 45-pound weight. With eight different weight options that you can choose from within this fairly small weight range, you should be able to shift upwards in weight at a fairly comfortable pace over time. The design of these weights offers a cast iron design and each of the weights has the bottom portion of the design covered in a vinyl material in order to make them more durable to wear and tear. The units have a very wide handle which offers a comfortable grip for the user. You will also find that the bottoms of these weights are flat in order to allow you to set your weights down with peace of mind knowing that you won’t have to worry about them rolling away on you.
- Solid steel handle won’t irritate your skin
- Bottom of the weights are covered in vinyl in order to make them more durable
- A wide handle on the units allows for comfortable weight lifting
- Low to average price range appeals to a lot of people
- Bottoms of the weights are flat and won’t roll away on you
- Made out of a cast iron construction
- Handles on the units may be a bit slippery
- No weights higher than 45 lbs are available
If you have a budget of just over $100 and you want to just buy one kettlebell for all of your exercise needs then this could be a great option for you. This kettlebell features adjustable weights that range from 10-40 lbs in weight in five-pound increments. The weights on the unit are relatively easy to remove and install back on the unit should you want to add weight back on. This unit offers a smooth metal handle with a very wide gripping area in order to suit a broad range of hand sizes with ease. In order to change the weights on this unit all you have to do is place your finger or thumb on the top of the unit and slide the circle towards you. After doing so you then have to turn the lever on the device to the right to unlock the weights within the unit. After removal of the weights, all you have to do is slide the lever back to the locked position and you can continue on with your exercise routine.
- Very easy to change the weights on the unit thanks to a handy locking mechanism
- Weights range from 10-40 lbs in five-pound increments
- Smooth handle on the unit will keep your hands from becoming sore
- Wide handle is great for people with large hands
- High price range might put this out of reach for some people
Day 1 has a great offering which we thoroughly enjoyed reviewing!
The hammertone non-chip finish is easy on the eyes, and it’s designed from one single chunk of cast steel, which means it’s less likely to crack or break given the lack of stress points. We appreciated the smooth grip which may not seem like a big deal at first, but after hours of a variety of motions, tender palms can start to feel worn, red and just asking for blisters. Unlike standard dumbbells which don’t typically rotate in your grip once you grab them, your grip on a kettlebell can’t be tight since the palm of your hand must allow the handle to rotate as you move through the range of motion on many exercises.
It’s important to have an excellent grip like these Day 1’s for that reason!
- Steel construction is durable and coated to be more durable
- One piece construction
- Seam-free finish on handles for extended blister prevention
- Weights available from 5-60 lbs in five-pound increments
- Lack of a substantially flat bottom makes the unit unable to sit handle-up properly when not in use
If you want to get yourself something that is fully coated with an enamel material because you like the feeling of it and want good durability then this could be a good option for you. This unit is quite cheap and comes in anything from a 10-50 pound weight size and comes in five-pound increments with the exception of a 30-pound weight. These weights are quite durable as they are made out of a solid cast iron construction and don’t have welds incorporated into their design. If you are skeptical about these weights, one nice thing about these weights is that the manufacturer does give a thirty-day warranty on the quality of the weights giving you plenty of time to test the weights out and check for any defects in the design.
- Made out of a solid cast iron to give you some more durability
- Available in weights between 10 and 50 lbs
- Fully covered in enamel for more durability
- Wide grip available on the unit is great for people with large hands
- Enamel coating offers good grip during your lifts
- Flat bottoms on the weights will keep them from rolling away on you
- Weight in lbs is located on the front of the units so that you know what you are lifting
- Nothing above 50 lbs is available and there is no 30 lb weight
If you want to get yourself a popular set of iron cast weights then this could be a great option for you. These weights are available in a weight range from 5-80 lbs in five-pound increments up to 45 lbs. These weights have no welds or seams in order to create a weak spot in the design of the product and you will also notice that there is a nice wide handle allowing for most people to be able to use the weights with ease. Each of these weights is painted black in order to offer more durability from the elements. You will notice that the bottoms of these units are flattened out in order to keep them from rolling away on you and you will also notice that the units do have a textured handle which helps with grip.
- Price is in the average range appealing to a broad spectrum of people
- Available in weight ranges from 5-80 lbs
- Textured, wide handle for good grip
- Painted black for added protection and durability
- Cast iron design has no seams or welds
- Flat bottoms so that the units don’t roll away on you
- Weight in lbs is located on the front of the units for relatively easy recognition
- No set of all the weights available at the checkout
If you want to get yourself a cheap set of weights or just a couple of lightweight kettlebells then this set could be a good option for you. Although this set may not have the highest quality construction on the market as they are made from cement and coated with a vinyl material, they do offer an extremely cheap price tag which is quite appealing if you don’t use kettlebells all that often in your workout routine or you just want to give them a try. At the checkout you can choose between a 5, 10, as well as a 15 lb option or you, can buy the full set of weights if you so desire. These weights have a wide handle to give you good grip and the whole unit is covered in vinyl for good durability as well. The units even have a flat bottom design so that you don’t have to worry about them rolling away on you and they are also color coated so that you can easily tell which weight you are picking up without even having to read the weight label located on the front of the unit.
- Very low price tag on the units appeals to a lot of people
- Comes with a DVD
- Vinyl coated design is quite durable
- Available in a 5,10, as well as a 15-pound size and available as a set at the checkout
- Flat bottoms on the unit keep them from rolling away on you
- Wide handles make for comfortable use, even for people with large hands
- Color coated so that you don’t always have to read the label before picking up the weights
- Definitely not the highest quality construction thanks to a cement build
If you are looking to buy yourself a good set of dumbbells rather than buy them one at a time, then this company offers a lot of different options that you can choose from. These weights are made out of a cast iron material and the bottoms are enclosed in vinyl in order to offer good durability and more protection from wear and tear. The units each have their weight in lbs located on the fronts of each of the products in order to make it easy for you to be able to choose the right weight of the exercise that you are doing. These units all have a nice wide handle and each of the handles do come with a textured design rather than just a smooth handle in order to offer you better grip and support so that you don’t have to worry as much about potentially dropping the weight. At the checkout the following weights are available in different sets: Set 1 has a 5, 10 and 15 lb weight. Set 2 has a 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 lb weight. Set 3 has a 10, 15, 20 and 25 lb weight. Set 4 has a 10, a 15 and a 20 lb weight. Set 5 has a 10 a 15 and a 25 lb weight. Set 6 has a 20 and 25 lb weight. Set 7 has a 10 and 15 lb weight. Set 8 has a 15 and a 20 lb weight. As you can see most of these sets are fairly lightweight, but if you already know how much you need to lift for each exercise you can see how ideal this set is with so many lightweight options that you can choose from at the checkout.
- Eight different sets are available with a lot of different weight options within
- Bottoms of the units are covered with a vinyl coating for more durability
- Textured, wide handles provide increased grip
- Flat bottoms on the unit prevent them from rolling away
- Each unit has their weight in lbs on the front of the unit so that you can tell them apart from each other
- If you want a heavyweight set then these weights won’t be a good option for you
- Price can get a little steep once you get into the larger sets
If you want to get yourself a bit of a package deal with a lightweight set of kettlebells then this could be a great option for you. This set actually comes with a nice storage rack that you can set all of the kettlebells on which is a really nice feature to have if you don’t have a place to store your weights. Additionally, the set comes with an exercise DVD as well as a chart to keep you on track and to allow you to learn some new exercises. With this package deal, you get three different kettlebells that are 5, 10 as well as 15 lbs in weight. Each of these kettlebells is color coated so that you can easily tell them apart without having to read the weight on the unit that is displayed in large font in lbs on the front of each of the weights. Each of these units has a nice textured handle and the handle is also quite wide allowing for a wide range of people to be able to use these weights with ease.
- The storage rack that comes with the unit has measurements of 20×9.25×11.5 in case you need to measure
- Three weights come with your purchase that weigh 5, 10 and 15 lbs
- You get a DVD as well as an exercise chart with your purchase to help you keep on track with your exercise goals
- Wide-handled, textured grips on the unit are good even when you are doing a vigorous exercise routine
- Extremely low price tag for a set of kettlebells with the nice additional accessories that it comes with
- Lightweight set may be a little bit light for some people
Final Thoughts & Conclusion
Hopefully by reading our list of picks for the top ten kettlebells on the market, as well as reading through our buyer’s guide has helped to inform you as to the things you should look for in order to get yourself a great kettlebell. It is always a good idea to make sure that you check company return policy as well as check to make sure what the details of the company warranty are of the product you are thinking of purchasing. It can definitely give you some peace of mind knowing the things that you are covered for so that you know that the company actually has your back if something were to go wrong with the product. Best of luck in your search for some great kettlebells and enjoy your workout routine!