When you are looking to get yourself a set of dumbbells there are so many factors to consider. Different dumbbells have different methods of adjustment and come in all kinds of weight sizes resulting in a very broad range of prices. It can be difficult to decide which kind of dumbbell set is the best option for you especially if you don’t regularly work out and are unsure as to what kind of a weight range you are capable of lifting. It is also especially difficult because someone who is new to working out is going to gain muscle at a much faster rate and what could be a good weight range for you to work out with now, could very well change within a few months of hard work. In order to make choosing your weights easier we have come up with a buying guide to explain the factors that you should look into before making a final purchasing decision. We have also come up with a list of or top ten picks for the best adjustable dumbbells on the market in order to make finding a set of dumbbells that much easier.
Top Adjustable Dumbbell Comparison Chart
Adjustable Dumbbell Buying Guide
This is one of the aspects of an adjustable dumbbell set that is likely going to have one of the biggest influences on your final purchasing decision. Generally speaking in order to get a set of dumbbells that has the highest amount of weight, you are going to have to pay more money for it no matter the adjustment method that is incorporated into the design. You will notice that brand name does make a difference on the price tag as well, but it doesn’t have nearly the same impact as the amount of weight that the dumbbells are capable of adjusting to. The more weight that a dumbbell has in its design, the higher the price tag you should expect to pay. It is important to take into account how often you work out, how often you plan on working out and how much disposable income you have so that you can come up with a good budget range for yourself. Setting a budget is always a good idea as the price of some of these dumbbells can be quite high and they can have some really nice, eye appealing designs that may sway your decisions. It is best to go in with a plan and follow it.
This is something that you should always take into account when buying products. Over time if a dumbbell is built poorly you may notice cracks in the weight or large chips in the design. Getting yourself something with a warranty is a great way to cover your back for when something like this occurs. It is important to look at the fine details of a warranty so that you know exactly what kind of a coverage the company is offering, mostly so that you know they are an honest company that isn’t trying to rip you off.
Different dumbbells are going to have different methods of adjustment and some methods of adjustment are going to take much longer than others. It is important to find something that works for your workout routine. Another thing that you should take a good look at is how much you can adjust the weight at different increments. You will notice that some of the most expensive weights have the lowest increments of weight change available while some of the cheaper weights have much larger increments. Having larger weight increments isn’t a problem but it does restrict your workout routine as going up by ten pounds when you are already struggling is a lot; compared to if you had a more expensive weight set where you might only have to go up as little as 2.5-5 pounds.
Most good quality dumbbells will be made out of cast iron and will have various amounts of plates on either side of the dumbbell that you can adjust in order to suit your personal needs. Often times the weights will be coated in a paint (normally black or silver) which helps to make the iron plates rust resistant, scratch resistant and therefore a more durable design overall. Not all dumbbells will be made out of a cast iron design; you will find dumbbells made out of things like plastic as well as chrome and chrome plated designs. If you are going to buy a plastic dumbbell it is important to realize that this won’t be as durable as a cast iron dumbbell and you should be more careful when setting your weights down and picking them up.
Depending on the brand that you purchase you will notice a varying price tag and you will also likely notice that some of the larger brands on the market have some pretty unique eye appealing designs. It is never a bad idea to buy a big name brand largely because they have likely put a lot of money into the innovation of the product and it is likely a massively modified version of an original design. Although you are likely going to get a proven product from one of the big brands it is important to still consider the smaller brands. A smaller brand may have just as much innovation and years of experience in the business and you just haven’t heard of them yet. It is a good idea to research any company that you are thinking of purchasing from in order to make sure that they offer quality products and that they really are an honest, trustworthy company.
The size of adjustable dumbbells can have a massive impact on your purchasing decision. If you want to be able to do all different kinds of exercises by using these dumbbells, the broader the range of weight that they offer, the better off you will be. It is important to make sure that the minimum weight of the dumbbell is something that works for a warm up weight for the exercises that you do on a regular basis. Keep in mind if you like to add additional exercises to your routine every once and a while you may want to make some kind of a list to figure out what weights you will need for those exercises. One thing you are also going to run into in your search are different quantities of dumbbells. Depending on the exercises that you normally do you may want to get a package that comes with two dumbbells rather than one. Remember that you could always just buy one dumbbell, but buying two will even out the weight and is likely going to feel comfortable to use than just one dumbbell.
Rack/ Holding Device
Many dumbbells on the market will come with some kind of a device that can be used to store your dumbbell when it is not in use. If you don’t currently have a weight rack this is something that will likely have a huge influence on your purchasing decision as it is important to put your weights up when you are done with them because they can be a major tripping hazard and could cause a major injury if they aren’t properly mounted into a holder somewhere. Although you likely aren’t going to be getting a massive rack with your purchase thanks to the adjustable aspect of the dumbbells you are looking at; you should make sure that the rack that comes with the design is going to be appropriate for your living space or you may have to purchase a separate rack to store your weights. Some of the more advanced dumbbells actually incorporate the stand that they come with as a way to change the weight of the dumbbell. These innovative designs allow you to change the weight quite efficiently but it makes It much more important to keep track of your rack/ weight holding device otherwise you are likely going to have a tough time when you are trying to change the weight of your dumbbell.
Best Adjustable Dumbbell Reviews
If you have a higher budget for a set of adjustable dumbbells and you want a design that isn’t very bulky then this may be a good option for you. This dumbbell has as small as 5 lb increments which is something to be expected at this higher price. Great for serious lifters who want to get an intense home workout without investing in a full home gym and olympic barbells. Each dumbbell is capable of adjusting from 5 lbs to as high as 52.5 lbs. These weights are very quick to remove thanks to a very cool dial design that fits uniquely into a molded storage rack included with your purchase. One other awesome feature of these dumbbells is that you get a very nice two-year warranty on the plates and parts that come with your purchase which can really help give you some peace of mind with your purchasing decision.
- Adjusts from 5-52.5 lbs
- Two-year warranty on the weight plates and parts that come with your purchase
- Unique dial design results in very fast weight adjustment and a non-bulky design
- 5 lb increments are available all the way to 25 lbs meaning you can do a really broad range of lightweight exercises easily
- Comes with a small rack custom molded to hold the weights
- High price tag may be out of reach for some people
- Dial design can be confusing until you get used to it
If you have a high budget range and you are rather rough on your dumbbells then this may be a good option for you. These are some of the most durable dumbbells available on the market and you have three different dumbbell sets to choose from as well as two expansion kits that you can purchase should you start finding that your weight sets aren’t heavy enough.
- Three weight set sizes are available including a 50-pound set, a 70-pound set and a 90-pound set
- Expansion packs are available, there is one 50-70 pound expansion kit as well as one 70-90 pound expansion kit
- Can shrink down to as little as a five-pound dumbbell in each hand
- Really long ten-year warranty
- Fairly easy to adjust in order to change to the proper weight
- Somewhat of a bulky design may be a bit big for some exercises
- High price tag may be out of reach for some people
If you are looking to get a nice set of dumbbells with a broad range of weights for a relatively low price tag then this may be the set for you. There are actually six different weight options available with varying amounts of weights to suit your individual needs. The dumbbells are made from cast iron plates and are able to fit onto the standard size 1.15-inch bar meaning you can use these weights for different exercises if you have the bars for it. These plates are covered in a black paint which helps to prevent breakdown over time, you will also notice that these plates come with a nice chrome handle that has ridges built into it to make for a design that is difficult to drop. In order to attach the weights to the chrome handle you simply have to attach the star lock mechanism onto either end and take it off to add more weight or take some off as you need.
- Available in six weight ranges including a 40 lb set, a 550 lb set, a 52.5 lb set, a 60 lb set, a 105 lb set and a 200 lb set
- 16 inch chrome handle incorporates anti-slip technology to prevent injury
- Star lock is easy to use and keeps your weight secured
- Black paint on the weights makes them more durable
- Cast iron weights
- Several small weights allows you to adjust your lifts by very small increments as small as 3 lbs
- Plates are kind of bulky and can be difficult to use for some exercises
- No rack or mechanism to store your weights
If you are looking to get yourself a cheap set of dumbbells then this may be a good option for you. This set comes with two dumbbells that are each capable of going up to 20 pounds in weight. The package you get comes with four 2.5 dumbbells as well as four 5 pound plates and four collars to hold everything in place. There are some pretty nice grips located on the dumbbells in order to keep you comfortable for the duration of the workout. The plates are made out of durable cast iron material which is quite good for this price range and they are even painted black in order to have more long term durability.
- Four 2,5 pound plates, four 5 pound plates as well as four collars are included in the package
- Plastic storage case comes with your purchase so that you can store everything in one place
- Cast iron plates are painted black for more durability
- Comfortable grips allow you to work out for a longer period of time
- Storage case is plastic and more prone to breaking
- Only capable of going up to 20 lbs in each dumbbell meaning it may not be enough weight for some peoples’ liking
If you are willing to spend some more money in exchange for more weight because you work out a lot and use a lot of weight when you exercise then this could be an ideal set of dumbbells for you. This set is capable of going to as high as one hundred pounds per dumbbell. You will receive eight different ten-pound plates as well as two 5 pound plates and two 2.5 pound plates so that you can slowly increase your increments as your muscles build. Threaded design allows for a secure fit when it is combined with the end cap design; the combination of these two things can really help to give you some peace of mind knowing that it is very unlikely that they will come undone and cause an injury to occur. The plates that come with this set are made out of cast iron material and they are even painted black to make them more durable as they will be more resistant to chips and scratches. This set is one of the most affordable sets at this heavier weight range and it is a very user-friendly design.
- Each dumbbell is capable of weighing up to 100 pounds in order to provide most people with enough weight to workout with
- Eight 10 lb plates, two 5 lb plates as well as two 2.5 lb plates are included with your purchase
- Made from a durable cast iron material that is painted black for more durability
- Chrome handles are comfortable to use and look professional
- May be a little steep of a price tag for someone who doesn’t need so much weight
- No storage option is included with the set
This set of dumbbells offers a lot for the price tag. With this set you get a nice pair of dumbbells that are capable of holding up to 52.5 lbs each. With your purchase you get eight five pound plates as well as two 2.5 pound plates and two 1.25 pound plates allowing you to increase your weight by very small increments if you desire. The small increments are great for pushing your limits and are great to try and increase your maximum lifts. The end caps and the handles are threaded in order to allow for a very secure fit so that you don’t have to worry about weights falling off and injuring you. The plates that come with your purchase are made up of a cast iron material and they are even painted black in order to provide you with more durability over the long term thanks to scratch and chip resistance.
- Cast iron plates combined with black paint promote long term durability
- You can adjust the weight of this product by as little as 2.5 pound increments
- Threaded ends and handle provide a secure fit so that you don’t have to worry about the weights falling off and injuring you
- Comes with eight 5 pound plates, two 2.5 pound plates as well as two 1.25 pound plates
- Pretty good price tag for this weight range
- No storage device is included with your purchase
- May not offer enough weight in order to keep some athletes content
If you are willing to purchase dumbbells in the mid to high price range then these ones may be of interest to you because of their very unique design. There are three different options to choose from including: one 50 pound dumbbell, two 50 pound dumbbells as well as a set of two 25 pound dumbbells. Each of these dumbbells comes in their own small stand that is designed to hold all of the extra weights as well as the dumbbell itself. The stand is great to keep all of your weights in one place and helps to prevent tripping hazards. The dumbbells are made out of a chrome plated steel construction which helps to make them more durable and increases eye appeal. Each dumbbell increases by different increments according to size of the dumbbell that you purchase which is something to keep in mind.
- Available in three different options including a pack of two fifty pound dumbbells, a pair of twenty-five dumbbells as well as an option for one fifty pound dumbbell
- Chrome plated steel design is quite durable and eye appealing
- Storage stands come with each purchase and hold the weight and the handle all in one place for your convenience
- Easy and fast to adjust and comfortable to use
- Doesn’t have quite as small of increment options as some other dumbbells do in the market place, these dumbbells are capable of five-pound increments
- Plates can bang against each other during use and create noise
If you are looking to buy yourself a really cheap, light weight set of dumbbells but still want something that offers quality so that you don’t have to worry about injuring yourself, then these dumbbells may be the ones for you. These dumbbells come with a total of four 6 pound plates as well as four 2.5 pound plates so that you have the maximum amount of adjustment options available. One nice thing about these weights is that if you currently don’t have a place to work out you can upgrade your purchase and get yourself a nice bench to work out on. These dumbbells come in a threaded design so that they keep the weight nice and secure throughout the duration of your workout. The weights are made out of a solid cast metal design and painted black in order to offer increased durability. 4 spin on ends are included in your purchase so that they stay on the ends of your weights securely.
- These weights come in a solid cast iron design and they are painted black in order to increase durability
- Available with and without a bench
- Threaded dumbbell allows you to keep your weights nicely secure thanks to spin lock ends
- Comfortable to use and easy to adjust the weight
- Very low price tag for the weights
- Lots of increment options available due to the low weight
- The 20 lb dumbbell’s may not be enough weight for some people depending on the exercise that you are doing
- Bench add on does increase the price tag by quite a lot
If you have an extremely high budget and want to get yourself a nice dumbbell then this may be a good option for you. This is made by a well-known brand which partially influences the high price tag for the dumbbell. The nicest aspect of this unit is that all you have to do is twist the dial on the end of the dumbbell in order to change the weight. The dumbbell can adjust from as little as 10 pounds to as high as 90 pounds. This dumbbell comes in a nice molded holder that holds your handle and your weights to sit all in one location to help prevent tripping hazards. With your purchase you even get a nice DVD that contains more than thirty different exercises. The metal plates are painted black in order to make for a more durable design; they are also coated in a thick plastic lining on the exterior of the plates in order to make this dumbbell even more durable and to help make it easier for the dial twist, weight changing feature to work.
- Includes a “Secrets of the 4-step Rep” DVD with your purchase
- Molded stand allows you to easily change your weights, helps to prevent a tripping hazard and allows for a smooth and quiet lift off when working out
- Weight can be adjusted anywhere from 0-90 pounds as needed
- Dial spin function allows you to change the weight of the dumbbell with ease
- Very expensive price tag for one dumbbell
- The dumbbell may seem a little bit bulky compared to some of the other options on the market
This is a pretty cheap set of dumbbells that actually has a high weight capacity considering the low price. The weights for these dumbbells are made out of steel (the core) as well as a protective paint exterior in order to provide a fairly durable design that will minimize damage to floors, etc. With your purchase, you will get four weights that weigh 2.2 pounds, four weights that weigh 3.3 pounds as well as four weights that weigh 4.4 pounds, as well as four weights that weigh 5.5 pounds. You will get four end caps as well with your purchase so that you can keep the weight attached securely to your handle so that you don’t have to worry about an injury.
- Weights included: four weights that weigh 2.2 pounds, four weights that weigh 3.3 pounds as well as four weights that weigh 4.4 pounds, as well as four weights that weigh 5.5 pounds
- Weights are made of steel for increased durability
- Weights are coated in a black paint to help protect from things like scratches and chips
- Easy to adjust by removing the four end caps included
- Low price tag appeals to a broad audience
- Kind of a bulky design once you get all of the weights attached
- The weights are not covered with an extremely protective exterior like thick rubber for better protection of floors
Conclusion & Recommendations
This conclusion is a bit different than most! Normally we show you a related video of some kind that will help in your purchasing decision or perhaps something more instructional. This time, it’s a mention of a set of dumbbells that didn’t rock my world (I’ll tell you why in a second), but that some people absolutely LOVE! It’s the Bowflex SelectTech 560. This is a super TECH version of the SelectTech 552 set which we really like. The reason I’m not over the top on the 560 set is that I’m not so sure we need the BlueTooth addition to track our reps and sets and weight. You can do that yourself, but if you’d like to get a dumbbell that costs 60% (even on Super Sale!) more than the 552 set and has more potential to break, then fill yer boots, my friends! It’s not a bad set, but for me, the Bluetooth is not worth the extra price for what I’m getting. Still, it might be worth a look. Check this:
I hope after reading through this article, that you have a better idea as to the aspects of an adjustable dumbbell that you should look for to design an effective home workout regime. We also hope that the top ten dumbbells helped to inform you as to the broad range of prices out there! Our purpose was also to show you what kinds of features you can get on a set of high-end dumbbells as well as what kinds of things you can expect to have on a cheaper set. Best of luck with your hunt to find yourself a nice set of adjustable dumbbells. Enjoy your workouts!