When you are looking to buy yourself a go kart there are lots of considerations to take into account. Go karts come in all sorts of size ranges and are capable of traveling at all different kinds of speeds. Depending on where you are taking your go kart to ride you may prefer some designs over other ones based on size, speed, and overall design. In order to help you find the go-kart that you are looking for we have come up with a go-kart buying guide that covers the in’s and out of a go-kart so that you know what sorts of features you should look for and what makes a good go-kart stand out from others. We have also come up with a list of our picks for the top ten go-karts on the market to give you an idea as to what options you have available and to point you in the right direction.
Top Go Kart Comparison Chart
Go Kart Buying Guides
In order to buy a go-kart, the first thing you are going to want to do is to come up with some kind of a budget for yourself. Go-karts have a very wide range in price and it is important not to overspend on a go-kart if you cannot afford it or you aren’t going to use the go-kart very much. Generally, the price of a go-kart will go up for several reasons and they are generally the highest price tag when they have the largest motors in them and are capable of going at the fastest speeds. You will also notice that the high end go karts do contain more comfort factors and they are generally made of a thicker more durable metal than that of a lower end go-kart in order to increase the durability of the design.
When it comes to go-karts warranty is a big factor to consider because of the fairly high price tag that you will have to pay in order to purchase a go-kart. It is always important to check and see what kind of a length the company has on the warranty because it means the company is willing to stand behind the durability of their product for that length of time; it is a good estimate of when you might start running into problems. It is always important to look at the fine details of any kind of a warranty agreement so that you can be sure that you are covered if you run into any issues with the product. Different companies will have different warranty policies and what may be an acceptable reason for one company for a product return may be completely unacceptable for a different company.
Depending on the go-kart that you buy you are going to notice that there is a broad range of weight limits. It is important to take these into consideration when you purchase your go-kart especially if you aren’t going to be the only person who will be riding around on it. Going over the weight limit on a go-kart may actually void your warranty and could even cause damage to the product so it is important to be aware that these limits do exist and to follow them as best as possible so that you don’t risk hurting yourself or damaging the go-kart itself.
Some go-karts on the market are specifically meant to be used by kids, some will be meant for speed and others will just be your average go-kart. Always make sure that you read the description carefully as the company should say exactly what the main purpose of the go-kart is somewhere in their description. Before you use your go-kart for the first time it is extremely important to make sure that you properly read the owner’s manual so that you know all of the functions of your go kart. Not knowing how to do something simple like brake or change the gears on your go kart could easily result in serious injury and it is important to take it slow the first few times you use your gogo-kart until you get used to the controls and feel safe using them.
Many go-karts will come with a broad range of comfort features depending on how much money you are willing to spend on your kart. If you are looking for the most basic features, there are some common things that you will find incorporated into most of the karts on the market. A roll bar cage is one of the most common features that you will see and could really save you from an injury so long as you make sure that you do up your seat belt before you start riding. Go-karts are quite heavy and could easily crush you if they were to roll over so it is important to take the proper safety precautions to prevent this from occurring. Another thing you will likely come across is golf karts that are powered via electricity rather than gas powered. You will also see golf karts that incorporate a variety of braking methods and different rims and tires in their designs. Some golf karts have package deals where you can actually get safety gear for an added price tag; it is always important to make sure that you have the proper safety gear as it can really save you if you ever got in some kind of an accident while traveling at a fast speed.
Style & Design
Many people like to purchase their vehicles based on how they look. When it comes to go-karts they are very compact and generally you won’t notice much difference in design, you will mainly only see a difference in color. Rather than buying the first go-kart that you see just make sure that you look at the specs first so that you know if you are getting a good deal on the price tag. Remember that a well-known brand name go-kart is going to cost you more money than that of a brand that isn’t nearly as popular. If you are thinking of buying off of a brand that you don’t know much about, just make sure that you do proper research and make sure that they are a legitimate company that makes quality products so that you don’t run into issues when dealing with them down the road.
Depending on the amount of money that you spend on a go-kart you will notice a difference in the frame quality. A cheaper go kart is most likely going to be made out of steel and it will likely be of a fairly thin material. A more expensive go kart may still be made out of steel but the bars will likely be much thicker and you will almost definitely notice that the maximum rider weight increases with a nicer frame.
Best Go Kart Reviews
This is a very nice kid’s or beginners go-kart that is capable of supporting a driver that weighs up to 120 lbs. this is a very simple design that incorporates a large backrest and handlebar steering so that you can be comfortable and maintain control throughout the duration of your ride. This buggy has a 350-watt motor that makes the go-kart capable of traveling at speeds of up to ten mph. The go-kart sits on 8-inch knobby pneumatic tires that will leave you comfortable throughout the duration of your ride. This go kart incorporates a hand throttle as well as brake controls so that you can be as safe as possible. This go kart does have a side roll cage built into the design which is looked upon as a major positive by some people, but it is a pretty comfortable go-kart that is easy to use and learn on and has a high enough weight limit to be used by almost all young kids.
- Comes with a stylish red design
- Can drive as fast as 10 miles per hours
- Side roll cage helps to protect you if you get into an accident
- Produces no emissions
- Seatbelt to keep you locked in place and safe
- Hand throttle and brakes for easy control of the kart
- Bucket seat is quite comfortable
- 120-pound weight limit is not high enough for adults
- Price range may be out of reach for some people
This is another nice kid’s go-kart capable of holding someone who weighs up to 140 lbs. This design comes in three different packages which can include a helmet or pads in order to help keep you safe while riding. This electric kart can run at up to 12 miles per hour and has a seatbelt to help keep you safe and secure. The throttle is located on the handlebars as are the brakes so that you have optimal control of the kart in all situations. This kart can run for as much as 40 minutes on a single charge and features slick rear wheels that are made so that you can do drifts.
- Can travel at up to 12 miles per hour
- Charge can make the go-kart last for as long as 40 minutes
- Throttle and brakes are located on the handlebars so that you can access and use them easily
- Slick rear wheels are made to allow this kart to drift really easily
- Have to have room in order to drift and not risk running into anything
- No roll cage incorporated into the design
This is another very nice kid’s go-kart that is capable of holding someone who weighs up to 140 lbs. This go-kart has rear wheels that are built to allow this go-kart to drift. This kart is capable of traveling at 12 miles per hour and can travel at variable speed thanks to a nice hand throttle design. Hand operated rear brakes will help you to drift this go-kart easily and effectively. This go kart has a seat belt in its design in order to make sure that you are secured down onto the kart. This kart comes in a nice white design that has a variety of decals on it in order to make it look a bit more like a race track car.
- Capable of traveling at up to 12 miles per hour
- Variable speed throttle allows you to drive as fast or as slow as you wish
- Hand operated brake and slick rear wheels allow you to drift the kart very easily
- Seatbelt incorporated into the design to keep you secure and safe
- Eye appealing white design with racing decals
- Capable of being used for up to 40 minutes on a single charge
- Battery takes up to 12 hours to charge
- 140 lb weight limit won’t be enough for the majority of adults
This is another nice kid’s go-kart that incorporates a lot of roll protection as well as a built-in seatbelt in order to help give you some peace of mind. There is no actual roof on the kart so the height of the rider isn’t super important it just means that your head will be above the roll cage so you will have to be more careful. This go-kart is pretty easy to drift and offers a steering wheel design which is great to help get your kids prepared to drive a car of their own someday.
- Adjustable seat so that riders of different heights can remain comfortable
- Racing pedals for style points and eye appeal
- Steering wheel is great for teaching your kids how to drive
- You can use this kart no matter your height
- Eye appealing orange design is easy to spot so that you can keep track of your kid’s
- Difficult to assemble
- Pedal design will not be liked by some people
If you are looking to get an adult go-kart here is a nice option for you. This Go kart features a nice roll cage and a two-seater design. The roll cage goes right over top of your head and goes around the sides of the unit making it ideal for protection. This kart may not be the fastest as it only has a single cylinder engine. The nice thing about this is that repairs on the kart will be cheaper and you will be safer because you won’t be able to travel at super-fast speeds. This go-kart has an automatic transmission and is fully capable of going into reverse in case you get a little too close to an object to be able to turn around it. This go kart features a heavy duty steel frame and comes with a full suspension so that you can go over any bumps that you want to hit. The motor is 150 CC class and it is an air cooled engine which helps it to produce 10.5 horsepower. The kart can travel as fast as 36 miles per hour which is quite impressive for this size of engine. The seats in this kart are fully adjustable and are designed to be as comfortable as possible even when driving through rough terrain. Front and rear disc brakes, as well as a shifter and key ignition, make this kart a very user-friendly, safe to use go-kart.
- Single cylinder engine capable of traveling up to 36 mph
- Heavy-duty steel frame is quite durable
- 150 cc class the engine produces 10.5 horsepower
- Front and rear disc brakes allow you to stop with ease
- Shifter and key ignition make this a very user-friendly kart
- Steering wheel, tail lights, head lights, fog lights and turn signals as well as a horn, and rearview mirrors help keep you safe when driving the kart in the dark as well as the light when you are in a high traffic area
- Very fast speed does make this go kart a little bit more dangerous to use
- Very high price tag could definitely be out of reach for a lot of people
This is a nice adult go-kart that is in a fairly cheap price range considering what is incorporated into the design of the unit. There are three different color options available for this go kart and it hosts an 1800 watt engine that is emission free. This go-kart has a very nice set of hydraulic disk brakes incorporated into its design which allow you to brake the kart easily and efficiently. This go-kart has a very durable steel frame that helps to make it capable of holding a rider that weighs up to 220 lbs. This go-kart has a roll bar in its design which helps to protect you from injury should you get into a bad accident. The go-kart has a very nice adjustable bucket seat design that allows the user to be as comfortable as possible throughout the duration of the ride. The go-kart has a secure seat belt to help give you some peace of mind when you are traveling around at fast speeds and has a 3-speed limiter control so that you can pick an appropriate speed for the area that you are driving in. If you have kids and want to let them drive this machine there is even a parental speed control switch that you can use in order to keep your kids from driving around too fast in the go-kart and potentially hurting themselves.
- Five different gears allow you to put the motor into high speed, low speed, medium speed, forward as well as reverse
- 12-volt battery charges in 4-6 hours and lasts for as long as 2 hours
- Can travel at speeds of 15-40 km/h
- Rear hydraulic disc brake makes for efficient, easy stops
- Frame is made out of steel
- Adjustable seat and secure seatbelt for comfort as well as for your safety
- Parental speed limiter so that you can let your children drive the go-kart safely
- Roll bar to give you some peace of mind
- Capable of holding a rider that weighs 220 lbs
- Have to recharge the motor for a fairly long period of time
- Speed limiter may be an annoying feature to some people
If you want to get yourself a cool looking go kart then this could definitely be a good option for you. This go-kart is made to look like a jeep and contains a very nice one cylinder engine and an automatic transmission with a reverse option built into the design. This engine is in the 110CC class and offers air cooling in order to make the engine more efficient. Although this Jeep go-kart is definitely a high price tag it is a unique design that will surely make you stand out amongst other go-karts. This go-kart does not come fully assembled which is an important thing to keep in mind. You will have to put the rims and tires on the kart yourself. This is a gas powered kart which is nice in the way that you don’t have to wait for the kart to recharge every time that you use it.
- Gas power allows you to refill the tank immediately and potentially drive the go-kart around all day if you desire
- A unique design will definitely make you stand out
- One cylinder engine puts the go-kart in the 110CC category
- Most of the kart comes assembled other than the rims and tires have to be put on
- Roll bar cage is on the top of the unit in order to protect you from injury
- An automatic transmission has a drive, neutral and reverse gears in order to meet all of your driving needs.
- High price tag may be out of reach for some people
- Some people expect to see a larger engine and more speed at this high of a price tag
Here’s another cool-looking, decent quality product by TaoTao. The first factor that you’re aware of immediately is the looks! It really does not look like a home-made hack job. It looks like someone wanted to make a Mad Max future-retro buggy, but low powered and made for the Amazon crowd! That means it’s limited to 15 mph, unfortunately. However, it does have some cool features like hydraulic disc brakes, automatic transmission with a 79cc 4-stroke engine. It’s chain drive, and has a total weight of 132 lbs. With a 2.4 inch ground clearance, I wouldn’t go off-roading but it’s a lot of fun on a big, flat surface! It has a tiny 0.34 gallon fuel capacity, but it’s not a large machine, so that kinda makes sense. It runs on only 1 cylinder, and it has a recoil starter.
As long as you understand you’re not buying a BMW or something, you should be pretty happy. It’s faster than a Razor electric kart, and it’s perfect for flat surfaces with a 50-70 lb kid. As a grown adult, the 3hp engine might be a little strained, and off-roading is pointless.
Overall build quality is “pretty good” considering it’s a Chinese mass-produced product, and the overall sentiment of several owners is “surpisingly good for the price”.
- Good quality structure
- Faster than other leading brands (electric)
- Tough to work well with adult
- Won’t work well off-road
If you want a cheap go kart for your kid or kids and you don’t want it to be motorized then this can be a great option for you. This go-kart is made out of a combination of metal and plastic in order to offer a fairly durable design. There are a variety of racing decals located on the unit which helps add to eye appeal and helps to make the go kart more fun to ride for younger children. This go kart does have a maximum weight of 55 pounds which is important to keep in mind so that you don’t end up breaking the kart by going over the weight limit. There are four tires, a steering wheel and even fake headlights on the unit in order to make it look more realistic. The nicest thing about a non-motorized unit is that you don’t have to worry quite so much about your kids driving around too fast on the go-kart and hurting themselves by running into something.
- Car decals in order to improve the visual appeal of the go-kart
- Steering wheel is great for teaching kids how to drive at a young age
- Don’t have to worry about your kids driving around too fast and hurting themselves
- Some people will want a motorized go kart
- Not fully made of metal so the go-kart isn’t as durable
We just love the looks on this little buggy! It has what we would totally call “understated aggressiveness”. The Moto Tec SandMan gives you a 49cc engine and a design that is meant to go off-road. It can take you 20 miles on a tank (unless you’re a really big dude!) on its 1 Litre gas tank. Seat belts and foldable seats are standard and it also has 8 inch solid rubber tires. It has a 9-inch ground clearance and it only weighs 89 lbs! It’s really meant for kids and not adults or even teens (otherwise it’s under-powered). However, 30 mph can be a bit fast and dangerous for the size of the kid (specifically the AGE of the kid) that can fit in it! Hmmm…. Otherwise, cool-looking and responsive.
- Very Sturdy Built
- Speeds up to 30 mph
- Axel mounted rear disc brakes
- Expensive price tag may be out of reach for some people
- Fast and potentially dangerous for younger kids, but only younger kids are small enough to fit into it well.
Conclusion & Recommendations
It can be extremely hard to narrow down what kinds of options you want to be incorporated into your go-kart in order to find the right go-kart for you. Once you figure out how many people you want your go kart to hold it can be a bit easier to narrow down your options because there isn’t a massive amount of pre-built go karts available on the market. Always remember to take a look at the return policy as well as the go kart’s warranty so that you can have some peace of mind with your purchasing decision knowing that any defects that you uncover will not be an issue. Hopefully, after reading our buying guide and our top ten list of the best go-karts on the market you feel as though you have a better grasp as to the features and the price tag that you might be looking at purchasing within and maybe you have even found yourself the perfect go-kart. Best of luck in your search and have fun with your go kart if you decide to pick one up!