If you don’t like to haul your golf bag around by hand and you don’t want to pay for a golf cart, your next best option is to get yourself a pushcart. A pushcart is essentially a device that you strap your golf bag onto and has a set of wheels on the bottom of it; the unit has an extended handle and allows you to drag your golf clubs around behind you. Over time a push golf cart is going to save you a lot of money compared to if you just rode in a cart each and every time you went out on the course.
A pushcart also has the benefit of giving you more exercise and allowing you to split up from your fellow golfer’s and go towards your ball on your own. In order to make a decision on the best push golf cart for your situation we have come up with a buyer’s guide as well as a list of our picks for the top ten push golf carts on the market in order to inform you as to what you should look for and some of the many good options that are available to you.
Top Golf Push Cart Comparison Chart
Depending on the golf cart that you buy, one thing that you are going to notice is that the wheels on the unit may be different. On a golf push cart, there are always three or four wheels on the unit in order to balance the cart in front of you properly while you push it. A pull cart will almost always have two wheels as it won’t need to have the balance that a pushcart requires. Depending on the unit, one of the main differences you will notice is where the front wheel is located. Some units will have the front wheel in behind the location of the golf bag and other units will have the wheel out in front of the unit. The higher-end units will often incorporate a front wheel that is able to swivel so that turning your bag is easier.
Depending on how much money you spend on a unit, you may run across some pretty fancy features. One of the most common features on some of the cheaper carts available is usually some kind of a tee holding device on the unit which allows the golf bag user to stuff tees down into it so that you can grab them quickly and efficiently. Another cool feature that you may find on some of the higher-end golf bags is some kind of a parking feature. Generally, a parking feature is great for use on hilly courses or muddy and rough areas so that you don’t have to worry as much about your bag running away or falling over on you when you go to hit the ball. Other cool things that you may find incorporated into your golf cart include a cup holder, a location to write your scores down, a built-in cooler, an umbrella holder or rain cover, a stool to sit on, as well as sometimes even pouches that you can use to hold your personal items.
Especially if you golf on a lot of different golf courses and you do a lot of driving around in order to get from course to course, one of the main things that could affect your purchasing decision is how easily the unit is able to fold up. Especially when you have a small vehicle to begin with, and you go golfing with multiple people at once it can be next to impossible to fit push carts that don’t fit very well into your car along with all of the golf bags that you have to bring. The easier a cart is to fold, generally the better the cart will be for you.
One aspect of a bag holder where you are very likely to see a difference in the materials that are used is the actual frame of the pushcart. A more expensive golf cart frame will generally be a lightweight aluminum design, if you choose to go the cheaper route you will likely find that the cart is made from steel and is coated in a powder coat in order to provide more durability. One of the other main differences that you will notice material-wise is what the handle of the cart is made up of. Some cart manufacturer’s attempt to make a comfortable handle for the user, while some manufacturers neglect the handle almost entirely. You will find handles made from all sorts of different materials; on the lower end of things you are likely to find no handle or a foam handle on the unit. If you get yourself a higher-end cart you will likely find some kind of a rubber handle on the unit that will end up being much more durable than that of a foam handle which will begin to wear out just from you pushing the bag around on a regular basis.
Most of the high-end bags on the market will offer a good amount of adjustment features in their bags in order to accommodate users with different needs. For instance, many golf bags incorporate extendable and retractable handles in order to allow people that are tall to be able to carry their bags around with ease. Another adjustment method you will find on the majority of pushcarts is the ability to tighten the strap around the bag or loosen it off in order to be able to hold bags of varying sizes according to your needs. Often times the higher end and sometimes even the lower end push golf carts will allow you to be able to adjust the angle of the handle in order to better suit the size of your arm and allow you to push the unit in front of you at an angle that is comfortable for your wrist over the long term.
One of the major areas you’re going to see a difference in bag design is how the bag actually attaches to the unit. The cheapest units on the market will likely use buckle straps or metal brackets in order to hold the straps in place and they will dangle off of the unit should you take your bag off. If you spend the extra money on a unit you will often see a much more sophisticated strap design where plastic or metal brackets hold the strap in place or you will see a full loop or large metal brackets that can be flipped out and over your bag. Bag developers continue to develop new and unique ways to allow bags to be able to clip in and stay secure, so don’t be surprised if you see some pretty interesting methods available in your search.
Almost all pushcart manufacturers will say how large their cart is within their product description. It is very important to make sure that these dimensions are going to work within your vehicle and it is especially important to make sure that they are going to be able to fit in the storage spot at your local course if they have a spot that you keep your clubs in.
Push Golf Cart Reviews
The CaddyTek CaddyLite makes it to the top of our list because it hit the sweet spot between price and function. It’s an excellent product for the price. It’s not over the top with amenities, but if you’re looking to spend less than $100 for a decent cart that should last the rest of your life, you’re lookin’ at it! It has all the usual fixins like mesh net on the handle and basket net for lots of miscellaneous stuff, an umbrella holder, beverage holder, foot brake, etc.
A front wheel alignment mechanism is built-in and 2 eleven-inch main wheels along with an eight-inch front-wheel offer maintenance-free tires (with bearings I might add) for excellent navigation of all golf course terrains.
- Large, stable wheels with bearings
- The aluminum frame is used in the design of this pushcart
- Folds down to a very small compact size easy to transport and store as you need
- Integrated cup holder, umbrella holder as well as a storage compartment and a storage net for your personal items
- Low price point may scare some buyers with psychology (“cheap price means crappy quality, so this must be crappy“)
If you want to get yourself a high-end cart with three wheels then this could be a great option for you. This cart comes in a total of eight different design options in order to suit your personal tastes. The unit is capable of folding down fairly easily and the folded down version of the unit is fairly small at 13 inches by 15 inches by 24 inches making it relatively easy to transport and store as you need. This unit is lightweight in design and has a wide array of awesome handy features that you can use. This design has a built-in umbrella holder, a cup holder and it even has a console on it which allows you to be able to hold a pencil to fill in your scorecard, any tees that you need and even a spare golf ball or a spot to put your ball when you are switching between holes. A handy parking brake is also located on the pushcart allowing you to leave the unit wherever you please including areas like hills and areas with muck and grime.
- Eight different design options to choose from really allows you to choose a bag cart that suits your tastes
- Handbrake located on the unit to allow you to park wherever you desire
- Cup holder, umbrella mount, golf ball holder, as well as pencil and tee holders, are located on the unit
- Can be folded up into a very compact design making the unit easy to transport
- Price tag is quite steep for this golf cart
- Doesn’t have the widest console or a ton of storage for the price keeping in mind that this does make the bag lighter by not having these
This next golf cart is in the average to high price range and comes in four different color options that you can choose from in order to suit your personal tastes. This unit has a very cool one button press folding mechanism incorporated into its design which allows you to be able to fold the bag about as easy as it can possibly be. The unit is made out of an aluminum frame and sports a four-wheel design (upgraded from last year’s 3-wheel model). When the unit is compacted after folding the unit goes down to the small size of 14.2 inches by 16.9 inches by 26.4 inches allowing for much easier transportation, storage and overall portability of the unit. This unit does have some nice features built into its design as well including things like a scorecard holder integrated with a storage compartment, a drink/GPS/phone holder and a mesh net. A foot brake is also standard.
The handle is adjustable for both height and lateral pushing positions while the built-in cooler and umbrella rack are nice features.
- Four different color options
- Compact size when folded down using the easy one button press design
- Foot brake on the unit allows you to easily brake and unbrace the unit to park on the ground that you want to
- Comes with some great features including storage options for a variety of items you typically carry while on the course (cooler, umbrella holder, drink/GPS/phone/scorecard holder, etc.)
- Average to high price tag could still be out of reach for some
Here’s the most unique offer on our list, but along with its cool “uniqueness” comes a price tag that can shock and awe! This cart is propelled by rear-drive 12V lithium battery and a super-quiet 120W electric motor. It can be set up for left or right-handed use. It can also be folded for even more convenience. Keep in mind this cart is designed specifically as an electric cart so it is NOT a retrofitted golf cart rigged with a motor. When it’s collapsed, the dimensions are 35.5″ long, 20″ inches wide and 15.5″ tall.
This cart comes with an impressive feature list. Let’s take a look;
- Digital Electronics with variable speed control (shows speed and controls speed)
- Ergonomic and adjustable TPE handle
- Large storage bag
- High-performance 12V 18AH Lithium battery system
- Swiveling and lockable front wheel
- 120 W motor and anti-skid grooved wheels for a smooth ride
- I may be Mr. Obvious, but there’s no need to push and pull this cart around!!!
- Adjustable handle both for height and angle in order to provide maximum comfort for the user
- A significantly higher price point than any other cart on our list.
This is a great three wheel golf bag that is available for a high budget range. If you are willing to spend the extra money in order to get this unit you will get some very nice features with your purchase. This unit comes with a handle mounted parking brake so that you won’t even have to stick your foot out in order to put your brake on. The front wheel of this unit is located in front of the golf bag and is attached with the ability to swivel in front of the unit which allows the unit to be able to turn very quickly and easily as you need. There is actually four different design options that you can choose from at the checkout in order to suit your personal tastes.
One of the key features on this cart is the Tr-swivel. This technology allows the front wheel to swivel 360° offering the ultimate in maneuverability. It also features a easy three-step fold and a full-featured extra-deep scorecard console that includes golf ball storage. The cart itself stores in mere seconds utilizing a simple 3-step fold and when it’s compacted, it’s only 23.5″ x 13″ x 24″. The ingenious TOP-LOK technology is Bag Boy’s system of attaching the bag to the cart.
The wheels are a generous size at 9.5″ (diameter) on the front and 11.5″ on the back. They’re very light since they’re made from solid foam, and they’re meant to be maintenance-free. The extra-deep scorecard holding offers storage for larger items like golf balls in addition to phones and keys.
- Handle mounted parking brake is ideal for ease of use
- The front wheel of this unit is of a swivel design allowing you to turn the unit quickly and efficiently
- Four different design options are available at the checkout
- Storage space is available at the top of the unit as well as a nice tee holder for convenience purposes
- Price tag may be too steep for some people
- No specs are given for the size of the folded unit
We love the convenience of the TWO-step fold (our last Bag Boy model has a 3-step fold). Features included a “full-featured” console with scorecard console, drink holder, phone holder and ball storage. Like most carts, it offers an integrated umbrella holder with a loop and storage notch. Once again it features the Bag Boy’s proprietary “Top-Lok” technology which is an ingenious cart-to-bag attachment system. This cart is 19″ x 13.5″ x 22″ when folded so you won’t feel like you need extra room to bring this cart with you to the course. It features a handle-mounted parking brake.
The main feature (we left it for last) is something that we know you’ll like and you’ll love showing it off (while pretending you’re not showing off!). It’s the compressed Nitrogen – assisted opening mechanism. All you do is pull up on a handle to start the opening process and all the other components come shooting out into place. It looks like magic from a distance because it’s obvious that the operator is not exerting enough energy to complete the process.
- Nine different color design options available at the checkout
- Hand brake on the unit is ergonomic and easy to use
- Two-step fold design is great for storage and transportation
- Features a VERY COOL one-step Nitrogen-assisted opening technology
- Mid-high price could be out of reach for some
The Stewart Cart caught our attention here at Sport Consumer because it’s actually not imported from China! In and of itself, that fact makes it novel, unique and curious … at worst! At best, we like to believe it is built with precision and care by hand in Great Britain. It features a very simple 2-step folding mechanism and an umbrella holder tube. The foot brake is a simple on/off design and it has a magnetic ball marker. It is built with thick shafts of aluminum that have a sturdier feel than its Chinese counterparts.
This design offers a smaller “footprint” (meaning length and width that it takes up while on a flat surface) but because of the smaller footprint design, it gives up some advantage on the folded height. It’s taller than most when collapsed. The rear wheel is a full 12″ in diameter while the front wheel is 7.5″.
The best qualities of this cart are not based on technology or gadgets. The best qualities are those of construction quality, country of origin and looks. The function is simple but not at all remarkable. It’s just a better than average looking cart that has better than average construction quality – PERIOD!
- Made fully in the U.K. with upgraded quality and construction than you’d see from a Chinese product
- Mega-simple design features
- Simple construction and folding mechanism
- Sturdier than most competitors
- Probably a bit pricier than the features would demand
Yes, you got it right! It’s the CHEAPEST cart on the list. Does that mean it’s the lousiest? Well, nearly 400 buyers gave it a 4.5 out of 5-star rating! I’d say that’s not a bad stat! It’s lightweight and sturdy, and because it’s steel, the price is kept nice ‘n low. It does fold in half for easy storage and it has fairly wide wheels for stability and the waterproof score cardholder comes standard. It has a contoured bottom for larger bags with an adjustable bag strap too.
Remember, this is not a brag bag since it has nothing really special, but based on customer ratings and a price point WAY UNDER FIFTY BUCKS, I’m sure you’ll be thrilled with the product based on the price!
- Folds down for easy storage
- Sturdy steel frame with wide wheels
- An insanely low price of WELL under $50
- Low price may scare some buyers
- It’s a fairly basic cart at the bottom of the price spectrum
If you are looking to get yourself something on the cheap side of things then this golf cart could definitely be an option for you. This cart features an easy to use buckle strap design in order to hold your bag in place. The design features three wheels and it does have a couple of small features packed into its design despite the small price tag of the unit. There is a watertight compartment built into it to keep your personal items safe and you will also notice a golf ball holder as well as a scorecard holder built into the top portion of the unit.
- Black and silver is eye appealing yet simple
- The cheap price tag makes this cart a competitor
- A couple nice smaller features like a watertight compartment, a golf ball and a scorecard holder are located on the unit
- Strap design can be a pain to use to attach and un-attach your bag
- No storage compartments located on the unit
We see the allure of a cart like this one because of its strength and its compact size. Unless you are a super-serious player or pro, you’d likely appreciate the small footprint of this cart. It’s suited best for a casual golfer though there are very serious players who simply need or want the smaller size to fit their small car.
Features include adjustable silicone bag straps, storage console (for things like scorecard, pencils, tees) and even a large interior to the console for things like wallets, keys and GPS system. Its airless tires eliminate one worry, while durable aluminum tubing looks sleek and adds strength. Its parking hand brake adds another desirable feature and other features include cup holder, umbrella mount, and accessory tabs. We also like 7 color options available.
When it collapses, the size is an incredible 13″ x 15″ x 24″.
- Seven color options from which to choose
- Can be folded down quickly and easily for storage or transportation purposes
- Lots of nice accessories including an umbrella holder, two cup holders and various golf accessory holders on the cart
- Front brake system provides maximum grip on uneven surfaces so you don’t have to worry as much about your cart running away
- Tires are airless so that you don’t have to worry about accidentally popping them at any point in time
- This price tag will certainly be out of reach for a lot of people
- Not a lot of storage is on the unit compared to other units in this general price range
Conclusion & Final Thoughts
Hopefully, after reading our buyer’s guide as well as our list for our picks for the top ten push golf carts on the market, you now have a better idea as to the features you want and some of the options on the market that are available to you. Although it may not be easy to narrow down your options, it is a good idea to take a look at the return policies as well as the warranty terms of the company that you are dealing with so that you know the potential problems you may run into down the road if you run into any issues with the unit or end up breaking what looks to be a vulnerable area on the unit. Best of luck in your search for the best push golf cart. Good luck out on the course!