Looking for a new tube for the upcoming summer but can’t decide which is the best option for you? There are so many tubes out on the market made by all kinds of different brands that it can be quite difficult to tell a good tube from a bad tube. In order to make this process easier for you we have rounded up a list of our picks for the top ten towable tubes on the market as well as made a buying guide so that you can get a better idea as to the features that you should look for within a towable tube in order get the most out of your time on the water this summer.
Top Towable Tubes Comparison Chart
|Picture||Name||Capacity||Price||Where to Buy?|
|1. AIRHEAD AHM2-2 Mach 2 Towable||2 Person||$$$||Check Price on Amazon|
|2. AIRHEAD AHSL-4W||1-2 Person||$$||Check Price on Amazon|
|3. Airhead AHBL-12 Tube||Individual||$||Check Price on Amazon|
|4. Airhead AHGF-3 Tube||Multi Rider||$$$||Check Price on Amazon|
|5. SPORTSSTUFF 53-2213 Big Mable||Multi Rider||$$$$||Check Price on Amazon|
|6. SPORTSSTUFF 53-2223 Super Mable Towable||Multi Rider||$$$$||Check Price on Amazon|
|7. O'Brien Super Screamer||1-2 Person||$$$||Check Price on Amazon|
|8. O'Brien Trickster 3||Multi Rider||$$$$||Check Price on Amazon|
|9. RAVE Sports 02322 Tube||2 Person||$||Check Price on Amazon|
|10. AIRHEAD AHRS-6 Tube||Multi Person||$$$$||Check Price on Amazon|
Towable Tube Buying Guide
This is one of the most important aspects of a towable tube as you will notice a difference in the overall quality of a tube based on the price that you pay for one. A more expensive tube will be made out of a thicker more durable material and will be much less likely to pop if you were to run into something. It is important to set yourself some kind of a budget based on your financial situation and how much you are going to use the tube because a good quality tube can get up in price quite quickly.
This is always something that you should be on the lookout for when you are thinking about purchasing a tube. Not only will some tubes only be capable of fitting a couple of people but you should also be aware that most of the tubes on the market will have a weight limit and it is important to make sure that you don’t exceed this limit as it will likely void any kind of a warranty that the unit has on it. Different tubes have different ways of allowing more people to be able to fit on the tube; some tubes incorporate walls into the design in order to try and keep you from falling off of the tube and to separate you from the people that are beside you. Other tubes will just have a flat platform with a variety of handles so that you can fit the extra person on the tube.
This is an extremely important factor to consider when you are buying a tube especially if you are buying one of the more expensive options on the market. It would be a shame to have an expensive tube pop after only a few uses and not be covered by any kind of warranty. It is important to read the warranty to not only give you peace of mind but to also know the types of things that get covered by the manufacturer should you run into problems with the design or any other aspects of the tube. It is also a good idea to check out the return policy to see if you need to keep things like the original packaging so that you can store these things somewhere in case you come across a defective product.
Different tubes will incorporate different types of handles into their design and if the person towing you around is quite hard on the throttle this may be one of the most important aspects of a tube so that you don’t end up hurting yourself. Often times a tube pops at the handle location because this is where the most amount of pressure goes as you are pulling up on the tube in that location on a consistent basis. It is a good idea to look for something that has some kind of reinforcement in this area so that you are less likely to come across a tear in the fabric at some point in the future.
Different tubes will incorporate different towing locations in order to be able to tow the tube around. Some of the higher end tubes on the market will occasionally have more than one different tow location in order to provide a unique riding experience. This is another one of the points on the tube that has the most amount of pressure and it is a good idea to look for something that has reinforcement in this area of the tube so that you aren’t shopping around for a new tube shortly after you make your purchase.
Seating/ Laying Area
Many of the tubes on the market will have some sort of a foam padding on the top portion of the tube in order to make it more comfortable for the user. Other types of tubes will even incorporate backrests into the design. Many people use tubes very aggressively and the driver tends to try to make the tube riders fall off of the tube into the water. Getting a tube with a backrest may seem like it ruins the fun but it allows you to pull around older people who are more fragile as well as younger kids without having to worry as much about them potentially falling off of the tube when you are travelling at a high speed and having them end up hurting themselves.
Color & Design
Many people like to base their purchasing decisions solely off of how something looks. Although it is nice to get something that looks fancy it is much more important that it functions properly and is made out of a durable design so that you can get as much use out of it as possible. With that being said there are quite a lot of tubes out on the market that comes in a wide variety of color options and it is fairly likely that you will be able to find something that suits your personal tastes. Just make sure that the product you are purchasing meets all of the other features that you are looking for and is made up of high-quality material so that it will last you for a long time. It may be worth sacrificing some looks in order to have your tube last you for a few extra seasons as it will save you a lot of money and you will get a lot more fun out of it the longer it lasts.
Generally, you will find that most of the average and high priced tubes on the market will be reinforced with double stitching and PVC material. You will also find that many of the tubes incorporate nylon into their design in order to reinforce everything and to improve water resistance. If a tube does not list the material that it uses in the design you should definitely be skeptical of the tube and you maybe should consider purchasing something else because they may have just used cheap materials in the design of the tube which is why they purposely neglected to say what it was made up of.
Best Towable Tubes Reviews
If you are looking for a tube and want to buy something in the average budget range as far as tubes are concerned then this may be a good option for you. This is a two person tube that has two seats complete with two backrests for your own comfort. This tube is great for all ages thanks to the large backrests which help to keep you from flipping out of the tube. The tube is made out of high-quality PVC and even has a double stitched nylon cover to offer extra support and reinforcement. When this tube is deflated it is quite small at 69 inches by 69 inches making it relatively easy to transport for something this large when it is blown up. This tube has four handles with knuckle guards in the design so that you can hold on tightly during tight corners without having to worry about falling out of the tube.
- Made of high-quality PVC and reinforced with double stitched nylon material
- Four handles built into the design with knuckle guards for comfort and to prevent injury
- Inflated floors make for a comfortable seat
- Backrest keeps you from falling out of the tube easily making it ideal for all ages
- Small 69 by 69-inch dimensions when deflated allows for easy transportation of the unit
- Some people may not want a tube that has a backrest
- Only one tow hook on the unit
This two-person tube is available for a low price range and has many nice features in the design that helps it to stand out amongst other low price units on the market. This unit is made of PVC and has a double stitched nylon cover in order to reinforce the tube and make it as durable as possible. The four handles in this design are made out of a nylon material and have knuckle guards on them for comfort and security. This unit has a diameter of 58 inches making it relatively easy to fit the two people on this unit and leaving a bit of room for you to move around on the tube. Being that this tube is 58 inches in diameter it allows for optimal wave creation and makes for a rough ride if your driver wants to put you through it.
- Can be used by one or two people with ease
- Four handles have knuckle guards and are made of a durable nylon material
- The unit is reinforced with a durable double-stitched nylon cover as well as PVC
- 58-inch diameter is great for creating waves and allows the riders to have some room to move around
- Tested for durability by the manufacturer
- No backrest on the unit means it is not the best for older people or younger kids
- Only one tow hook on the unit
This unit is available for a very cheap price tag and has some very nice features incorporated into its one rider design. The design comes with reinforced double stitched nylon as well as PVC for maximum durability. Although this is a one person tube, it is very large at 54 inches allowing the rider to move around as they like and use whichever of the four handles located on the unit that they wish to use. Although this unit has only one tow hook it will be hard to find a tube at this price range on the market especially a tube that is reinforced as well as this tube is.
- PVC and double stitched nylon are used in the design for maximum durability
- Speed safety valve to keep air inside
- Four handles to provide a range of gripping options
- Handles are wrapped in nylon and contain knuckle guards for comfort and security
- Large unit at 54 inches allows the one rider plenty of movement ability
- If you want to tow more than one person this is not capable of that
- Only one tow hook
If you have a bit of a higher budget and you want to be able to tow multiple riders then this tube may be a good option for you. This tube is capable of holding up to three riders at once and features six nylon covered handles with knuckle guards for added comfort and support. This tube incorporates a quick to use Boston valve in order to deflate and inflate the tube as fast as possible. This design incorporates stabilizer fins into its design so that you are less likely to flip the tube over when you are traveling at a fast speed. This is a high-quality tube as it uses a combination of 30 gauge PVC material as well as double stitched nylon so that the tube is as durable as possible. To give you some peace of mind with your purchase this company even offers a one-year limited warranty on this product in case you run into any kind of defects in the unit.
- Six nylon handles with knuckle guards for comfort and support
- Boston valve for easy deflating and inflating of the tube
- One year limited warranty for peace of mind
- Stabilizer fins to keep you from flipping over when traveling at fast speeds
- Capable of holding three riders at once with room to spare
- Very large tube thanks to three-person capacity
- If you want to flip the tube you won’t be a fan of the stabilizer fins
- Average price tag may be out of reach for some people
- Only one towing location
If you have a high budget and you want to be able to take older people around as well as younger kids then this is definitely a good option for you. This design has a very large backrest in order to provide maximum comfort for the duration of your ride. This design has two different towing locations in order to keep you from becoming bored. One cool feature of this design is that there are actually side walls to help keep you locked into the middle of the unit so that it is extremely difficult to fall off no matter which direction the tube is tipping. You will find that this unit contains plenty of grabbing handles for your convenience and they are located in the center of the unit as well as directly on the sidewall so that you can use whatever is more comfortable for you. Each of the handles has knuckle guard support so that you have maximum comfort and support. Throughout this design, you will notice a variety of foam patches which are meant to be for your own comfort. With this two-person design, you can ride however you like to whether that be seated, laying down, kneeling or squatting. In order to give you some peace of mind due to the high price tag on this unit, the manufacturer offers a one-year limited warranty against any defects that arise.
- Two different towing locations on the unit located on the front as well as the back of the unit
- Cushioned side walls to support you and keep you from falling off of the raft
- Large quantity of handles with knuckle guards so that you can use the tube in whatever position you like
- Foam pads throughout the unit for added comfort
- PVC and double stitched nylon are incorporated into the design for maximum durability
- Capable of towing two people at one time
- Large backrest for comfort and to keep you from falling off
- One year limited warranty to give you some peace of mind
- If you like to fall off the raft then this is not the raft for you
- Warranty has a fair amount of conditions associated with it that you should look at before purchasing
If you have a really high price tag and want something capable of holding three people at once then this may be a good option for you. This tube is very large in size and offers plenty of room for all three riders. In order to make it as safe as possible for the riders, this unit incorporates side walls and a very thick and tall backrest so that it is pretty much impossible to fall off of the unit unless you are towing from the back side of the two tow hooks available. This unit has plenty of handles in the design and there are handles on either side of the person who is in the middle as well as on the sidewall so that the outside riders can get a secure grip in a comfortable position. This unit incorporates foam pads into the design in order to try and make your ride as comfortable as possible no matter how aggressive your driver is. This is a very heavy duty unit and incorporates both PVC material as well as double stitched nylon material in order to provide the most durable design possible. In order to give you some peace of mind with your purchasing decision, this unit has a nice one-year limited warranty which is a nice thing to have especially considering the higher price tag of the unit.
- Capable of holding three riders at one time
- Plenty of handles for all of the riders, each of the handles has knuckle guards for your comfort and support
- One year limited warranty on the unit to give you some peace of mind with your purchase decision
- Double stitched nylon and PVC are used in the design in order to offer maximum durability
- Two towing points keeps you from becoming bored
- Extremely safe design large backrests and sidewalls are great for older people and young children
- Self-bailing drain vents on the unit so that you aren’t sitting or lying down in a pool of water the whole time
- Due to the fact that this is a three-person unit, the tube is quite heavy
- Not a good tube if you like to fall off of the unit
This is a nice tube that is available in the average price range and it is great for thrill seekers who want to try not to fall off of the tube. This tube can be used by two people at one time and is a very large 70-inch tube offering plenty of room for the two riders to move around as they wish. In order to make you as comfortable as possible this tube incorporates six handles in its design each with knuckle guards so that you can be as comfortable as possible with your gripping position and stay securely on the raft as long as possible. This design incorporates fairly durable 26 gauge PVC as well as a nylon cover. Although this tube only incorporates one tow hook into its design it is just in a simple circular tube so it doesn’t really make a difference because you can lay down on the tube however you like. In order to provide you with some peace of mind, you get a nice one-year limited warranty with this purchase.
- Boston valve allows for quick inflation and deflation of the unit
- One year limited warranty to give you some peace of mind
- Six handles with knuckle guards to provide comfort and support
- Very large 70-inch tube allows you to move around as you wish
- 26 gauge PVC and nylon cover to increase the durability of the unit
- Not double-stitched nylon cover, most tubes are made with 30 gauge PVC
- Some users may prefer a smaller tube
If you are looking to get something that looks a bit different from most of the tubes on the market then this may be a good option for you. This tube can hold three people at one time and contains six handles so that you can have a good grip and try your best not to slide off the back of the unit when you have an aggressive driver. This unit is made out of PVC and has a nylon cover built into the design in order to increase the durability of the unit. The handles each have knuckle guards for your own comfort and security while riding. The unit is divided into sections and each person has a side wall next to them to keep them within their own area and to prevent you from bumping into another person during your ride. This unit incorporates a Boston valve into its design so that you can inflate and deflate the tube quickly and easily as you need. This is a pretty lightweight tube at 26 pounds seeming as it is capable of holding three people at one time which is a nice bonus and makes the unit a little easier to transport around.
- Boston valve for quick inflating and deflating of the unit
- Six handles each with knuckle guards for your own comfort and support
- Made out of PVC and nylon in order to increase durability of the unit
- Side walls between each person prevent you from bumping into one another
- Open back makes it so that you can fly off of the unit
- Lightweight 26 lb unit is great for transportation purposes
- The unit can hold three people at one time
- Only one tow attachment point on the unit
- No extra handles on the unit
If you are looking to get something cheap then this may be a good option for you. This tube is capable of holding up to 340 lbs at one time and is capable of taking two riders at one time so long as you are under the weight limit capacity of the tube. This tube incorporates knuckle guards on its four handles in order to offer you comfort and security. This tube is extremely lightweight and due to this, it will be able to skim across the water extremely fast. The tube is relatively wide at 54 inches in diameter and offers a bit of room for you to move around on. The unit is made out of 24 gauge PVC which is pretty good for this low price tag and it also has a nylon cover built into the design for extra reinforcement. The unit even comes with a one-year limited warranty on any defects in the product to give you some peace of mind.
- 24 gauge PVC and nylon cover help to add durability to the design
- Four handles each with knuckle guards for comfort and support
- Capable of towing two people at once
- Very lightweight design
- 54-inch diameter
- 340 lb weight capacity may not be enough to fit two people depending how much they weigh
- No backrest or dividers to keep you separated
If you have a high budget and want something capable of holding 2-6 people then this is a great option for you. This tube allows you to lay down or kneel down on the unit on either side of a large hump located in the middle of the tube. On the tube, you will find a total of fourteen different handles all with knuckle guards so that all riders can be comfortable and secure on the unit. If you want to have six riders on the unit two riders can go on top of the middle hump of the tube. This is a very durable tube made up of 30 gauge PVC and with a double stitched nylon cover design. This unit has a very flashy design that will make you stand out on the water and has a Boston valve for easy inflation and deflation of the unit.
- Six rider capacity
- Fourteen nylon handles all with knuckle guards
- Durable design with 30 gauge PVC and double stitched nylon
- Boston valve for easy inflation and deflation of the unit
- Neoprene pads for extra grip and comfort
- Very lightweight design considering the number of people the unit can hold
- Can be kind of crowded if you get all six people on the unit
- High price tag may be out of reach for some people
Conclusion & Recommendations
Buying yourself a quality tube is by no means an easy task and there are so many factors to take under consideration that it can be difficult to narrow down your options and pick out a tube that works for you. It is important to make sure that you buy a tube that is large enough to suit your needs and that you try your best to find something that is a durable long lasting design so that you aren’t constantly having to replace the tube time after time. It is always a smart plan to take a look into the return policy as well as the warranty from the company that you are purchasing from so that you don’t run into any problems if you have a defective product. If you decide to buy this product in the off-season it is a good idea to blow up the tube when it arrives to make sure that it holds air properly so that you can return the product within the policy period that the company has set in place. Best of luck finding a tube that suits your needs, hope that the buying guide, as well as the top ten list of the best tubes on the market, has opened up your eyes to the possibilities that you have and what kinds of features you want for your own tube. Happy tubing (and I hope to see your “extreme” tubing video in the future!)